Friday, July 22, 2011

Wish You Were Here?

Well I'm not sure what's happened to the weather, but even if it doesn't feel particularly Summery, the holiday season is in full flow now and that's what Lynda has based her challenge for the Daring Cardmakers around.

It's Summer now in the Northern hemisphere so lets see your holiday creations - Beaches, Tropical Paradises, Camping/Caravanning, Countryside or even a City Break - what takes your fancy?
It had to be a seaside theme for me and I managed, for once, to resist digging out my favourite Craft Robo Beach Hut template, along with the photos of  Southwold ; my favourite beach-hut viewing place!
 Summer is about the garden, sunshine (well, sometimes), holidays, seaside, colours - both bright and sea-faded, ice-cream, and all sorts of other things, so I thought I'd do something more collage-y this time and use the 6x6 Websters Pages set I bought a few weeks ago and haven't touched since. I'm not really convinced about this as a card, I think it would be better as a canvas, and as I have some 8x8 canvases lurking somewhere I might just see if I can do something with it later.
I used:
papers: Websters Pages (background, striped lower edge, yachts, signpost, lighthouse - I coloured on red and white stripes for a more UK version of a lighthouse) ) , 
Fancy Pants "Beach Bum"(bunting, tree, flip-flops), Echo Park Summer Days (ice cream)
Suticases - same Craft Robo template as for the Suitcase challenge of a couple of weeks back 
I made the top one deeper to look more like a vanity case, and used a gel pen to draw in the details as these were all quite small. 
 
Flowers: large red and blue flowers are made with circles of organza (using the tea-light technique), centres are "Sheer Blooms" from Creative Treasures, Lime green "Aster" and red wired rose, plus turquoise seam binding for the twisted bow also from Creative Treasures
Shell - which doesn't show up very well, sorry! - is made from paper clay.


I love to be at the seaside.  I was born and lived in a seaside village till I was 10, My mum would meet us out of school on nice days and we'd go straight to the beach, then for years after we moved away, we returned every summer to spend time with the rellies so the beach on the photo below has a huge place in the summer-times of my memory.

Maybe one day I'll get to live at the seaside again.....
Please visit the DCM Blog to see the wonderful cards the team have made for Lynda's fun dare this week - and hopefully you'll be inspired to join in with us, I hope so.

Thanks for visiting



12 comments:

Lythan said...

I think you ought to turn it into a canvas as it is too lovely to give away. The boats and cases in particular are fabulous!

Juliet said...

Kathy, this is just beautiful!

Juliet said...

Kathy, this is just beautiful!

Lynda said...

Wow Kathy this is a stunner and has everything in it that makes a Summer holidays special. I Love it.

Love Lynda xxx

Dolly Mixtures said...

This works beautifully and I agree it would make a super collage canvas. You have added so much detail- a real work of art.

Rika said...

Fantastic card Karthy!

chilli pip said...

This is wonderful Kathy , so much to take in but without being busy.
I am so lucky as i do live by the sea side .

Sharon (glitterangel) said...

Fantastic card, I just love all the little details - I agree with Lythan it's too nice to give away, you should definitely make it into a canvas.

Angelnorth said...

Yep, definitely a candidate for a canvas this one - great summery feel here!

Karen said...

ooooo yes....definitely a canvas candidate Kathy! Its just gorgeous...love the bunting & suitcase element and I know I shall be singing that song for the rest of the day now hahaha x

Oscar said...

This is such a fun card and must have taken an age with all the detail you have put on. Gorgeous!

purple_pea_fran said...

This reminds me of a (ableit posh) postcard - fabby elements :)

Fran x