Friday, July 15, 2011

Pinteresting

Wow, posting two days running, maybe I should go and have a lie down once I've finished this!
It's Daring Day today and we've had a wonderful week sharing inspiring photos and then using them to create our cards.  It's all down to Nat:
".........something a little different!
we're looking to Pinterest for some inspiration!
I am a relatively new convert to Pinterest - I only joined a month or so ago, but it is definitely my favourite place to hang out at the moment and get instant inspiration - plus I can keep track of all the wonderful inspiring pics and cool techniques I've bookmarked over the years in one handy place.
If you don't know what Pinterest is, check out the blurb here for more info.
We want to spread some Pinterest love this week - because the joy of Pinterest is discovering new sources of inspiration!
So the dare this week is to create a card using a "pin" for inspiration. "
So, the basic idea is to find a photograph on Pinterest, or elsewhere on the net and use it as the starting point for making your card.  There's lots more info over on The Daring Cardmakers Blog, which will help make it seem less complicated!

I've made a couple of cards this week - the problem with Pinterest is that there are just sooo many wonderful, inspiring photos and it's too easy to get diverted - I've been dipping in for a while but this week I took the plunge and joined up so that I could start making my own pinboards.  
 This is the photo which was the inspiration for the first card I made:




Source: curbly.com via John on Pinterest

I used:
Red, turquoise and lime card, All circles cut with Craft Robo.  I made the inverted scallop frame using a graphics program then converted it for Robo cutting in PSP.
I punched a circle in the base card and the green and red circles so that the glittered button couldbe adhered to the inside of the card and show through the holes.
Red Organza flower and red seam-binding flower are handmade, Small wired roses, Prima "flat" flowers, Glittered brad, seam binding bow, Button, glittered with Stickles then a coat of Glossy Accents, All gems I-rock  hot-fix (Imaginisce), Green and Turquoise Dew Drops

Then yesterday I saw this other photo and I loved the tile patter, the colours and the composition, so just had to make another card!

I made the curvy diamond tile by combining a couple of images in PSP then converting for cutting on Craft Robo - I think there's a similar Spellbinders shape - but imagine cutting all of those individually - sticking them on the white panel was tedious enough!

I used:
White card blank and matching card for the tiled panel, Black card, Paper (Fancy Pants "On a Whimsy"), ink for edging,, 
 White seam binding double wrapped around the panel, Lace adhered around panel
Flowers: large flower hand-made with white Seam Binding, 
Top flower made with a rosette of lace and a medium sized Prima rose, 
Right-hand coiled rose made with heavy crepe paper (thank you Joanne :)) 
Stickles glitter glue on each flower.
Yesterday morning the postie brought a lovely DT pack of new goodies from Creative Treasures - What timing!! The  white seam binding and beautiful lace I found in my parcel was just perfect for this card!  I've already been suing some of the other things Tracy sent too, but I'll share those another day!  It's hard to beat Creative Treasures for tempting embellishing treats!

Right, I think that's me done for today - do please check out the Daring Cardmakers BLOG, and all the personal blogs to see the cards and the inspiration behind them - if you are ever in need of inspiration, a little Pinterest browsing is sure to kick start your mojo!  If you do, then please join in and play along with us this week, we'd love to see what you come up with.
Thanks for visiting, please leave a message, it's always good to read them!

14 comments:

Angelnorth said...

Beautiful cards Kathy, I absolutey love the tile-inspired one! Your crepe rose turned out beautifully, was that just a rolled strip (with a scalloped edge?)?

Anonymous said...

I love Pinterest! Although I don't get on there as often as I would like.
Love your take on the two photos which inspired you - fantastic!

Lythan said...

Oooh Kathy you have been so inspired! Those cards are simply beautiful

Lynda said...

Wow Kathy you really have been inspired! Both cards are beautiful and I love how you've interpreted the photos.

Love Lynda xxx

Willy said...

Both are wonderful, Kathy!

Hazel said...

Love he way you've used the lace on the second card - and good choice of Pinspiration for the two cards (I've joined Pinterest and hope to join in DCM this week) x

Gez Butterworth said...

Wow! Beautiful artwork Kathy. Love, love, love your flowers ♥

Dolly Mixtures said...

WOW! I love both of the cards you made this week for the Pinterest inspired dare. Who would have thought bathroom tiles could be so inspiring!!!! Love the shapes, the colours, the layout....I'm totally in awe.

tracy said...

never heard of pinterest,but like what you've done ;)

Anonymous said...

oooh Kathy, you really went to town with these pins! Love them both but that bathroom tile inspired one speaks to my little addiction to aqua and cream colour combos... simply divine!

Sharon (glitterangel) said...

What fantastic cards - I love the colour scheme of the first one, not colours I would think to use but they look brilliant, and I love the way you've recreated the tiles for the second card, really elegant.

purple_pea_fran said...

They are fab pics aren't they? Love the colours on both but especially like the aqua tiles card/pic, just so pretty. Fran x

Zuzana Obert said...

Wow, Kathy your cards are very inspiring :0) Love the shapes and the colours too. Just fabulous and Pinteresting ;0)

Zuz. x x

Oscar said...

Gorgeous cards Kathy, I absolutely adore the tile card you made, stunning! x