Friday, December 14, 2018

Snowflakes Falling: Hot Foiling Adventures no 3

Hello!
How's it all going with you?  Everything ready for Christmas now? We'll not mention just how far behind I am.....
Straight down to the business of The Daring Cardmakers today:
This week our theme is
Snowflakes Falling
One snowflake or a whole blizzard, perhaps a snowman, or a whole snowscape if you like - just keep it snow-themed for your card this week, and remember, it doesn't have to be a Christmas card.

As far as I'm concerned the snow can just stay away all Winter.   I probably say this every year but I wouldn't mind the white stuff if it only settled on the gardens etc and never made the roads and paths so treacherous.  Being a born worrier I can never rest until I know that those I love are safe and sound and not travelling.
However, I love snowflake shapes especially when it comes to extending my die collection and I'm pretty sure it's impossible to have enough of them!
So I used quite a few to make  couple of similar cards this time, and experimented with  some hot-foil layering too.  I won't be sharing the version where my spatial awareness capabilities went to pot though!

 Info
For the  hot foil layer 1 a few of my smaller regular dies were laid onto the heating platform, then the foil (pretty side down), then the pale aqua pearl cardstock and finally a shim. It doesn't matter if some of the dies extend past the card, just be sure the shim (or you could add a piece of paper below the shim) is big enough to catch any stray foiling.
Because regular dies foil only where the cutting edges are, you get a lovely delicate background pattern
For layer 2 I used a hot-foil stamp plate ( I think this one is by CraftstashUK). You need to keep the stamp in position on the card, I use washi tape to do this and prepare the stack on my craft mat so I can get it all lined up.
  
At this point I have a tip for you:  I find it a bit fiddly cutting the slippery foil to shape, so I male a template using a scrap of card to roughly draw around the stamp on, cut the shape out leaving a small margin, write on it to label it then store stamp and template together.  It's much easier to cut the foil using the template than the actual stamp 

The foil needs to be between the card and the stamp so once I've decided where the stamp needs to be and use a small piece of tape to fix it and act as a hinge when I tuck the foil in place.
The stack (on the craft mat) will be:
Card
Foil (pretty side up),
Hot foil stamp, face down (add more washi tape to hold everything place)

Now turn the whole lot upside down and place on the heating platform
Add the shim and allow to heat through before rolling slowly through your die cutter a couple of times.
Layer 3 is the same as layer 2, but I used red shiny foil and a Spellbinders Hot Foil plate
The second card was made in pretty much the same way, just  finished off differently.  The NOEL hot foil plate is also by Spellbinders 

Info
Hot foiling as above
Gold paper added to card base
Die cut snowflakes added to the large hot foiled snowflake

Extra small die cuts and gems added to both cards

Hope you like them, and the instructions make sense, though I suspect they make more sense if you've actually got a hot foil gadget!
Have a great weekend
Happy Crafting

7 comments:

Enfys said...

Definitely going to try this, love love live it! Thanks for the tips Kathy x

Sylvia said...

Such pretty colours and foiling. Love the mix of dies and hot foil stamps used.

Sylv xx

KarinsArtScrap said...

gorgeous cards Kathy

gr karin

Jackie T said...

Hi Kathy this is a stunning card. I just love the foiling. Have a great weekend. Take care. Hugs Jackie

Holley (Tondre) Barnhart said...

amazing cards, they look so professional

Katie said...

Stunning card

Gwyneth said...

Realy lovely Christmas cards. Very classic, elegant, look.
GG