Tuesday, April 27, 2021

Shop Window

 

 Hello

I'm extra late with my card for the Daring Cardmakers this week. I started last week with a few really bad nights, and when I don't get enough sleep I'm totally useless!  Everything was a struggle last week and I don't think I managed to tick anything off my list.

By Thursday I'd realised that I wasn't going to get my card done in time to post Svenja's fab challenge on Friday morning. 

celebrating books - and their heroes

So, make a book related card: celebrate books themselves, getting lost in a good book or some classic book heroes - and heroines. Or maybe you even want to create a book?

 Click here to see this week's design team inspiration  

 Now, I hate to miss a challenge, and I's had an idea I wanted to use for this one but although I made a start, I couldn't seem to pull it together in time on fact its taken till today to get it finished and in all honesty its not as I envisaged!  Oh well, at least I tried

My little 'shop window' card is inspired by a book I listened to on Audible recently.  I found it one of those books I have to be strict with myself and not just have plugged into my ear all day long - a paper book is sometimes hard to put down, but its harder still with an audio book - with your phone in your pocket and your earphones in your ears, you have your hands free to type, to cook, to take the bins out......

Anyway, I loved this book and all the stories woven through it.  In the book after a traumatic discovery, Nora ends up leaving London and returning to her late grandparents home in Dublin which is filled to the brim with things unique, unusual, bizarre and wonderful collected from all over the world by her Grandfather and all with their stories.  Now though, both grandparents are gone and the house needs to be cleared and sold.  

Nora decides she could set up a shop and use her artistic talents to display and weave wonder and mystery around all these objects, and of course find them new homes.



 Info
Originally it was going to be a shop window on a plain card blank but in the end it became a shaped card instead.
I started by ruling out the lines to make the window pattern then cutting the apertures.  Another piece of card the same size was cut to be the inside of the window.  I coloured both sections appropriately then using some pieces of chipboard between I stuck the layers together.
Next I made the canopy and the windowsill sections.
The really time consuming part was making all the little elements to put into the display - they are a mix of printed elements, die cut bits and bobs and some sticker type things from my stash of things that might come in useful!   I also added in some books to add another link to the challenge theme.

That's it for this time, at lest I got there in the end.  I still like the idea, but with hindsight I'd probably have approached it differently
Thank you so much for visiting today, I hope you'll leave a comment, I really appreciate it when you do!

Happy Crafting, and please take care of yourself.




4 comments:

Jackie T said...

Hi Kathy this is a gorgeous card I love it. Take care. Hugs Jackie

Angelnorth said...

Lots to enjoy here Kathy, I’ve not heard of the book but it sounds like a good premise and of course I love the fact you snuck some books into the shop window here!

Shabneez said...

Oooooh very fancy creation Kathy! Hope you're catching up on the sleep! Shabneez x

Svenja said...

I totally love this soulful and touching take on the theme - and I'm looking forward to reading the book now...