Sunday, May 30, 2010

A Couple of Little Things

With all my DT crafting done and out of the way for the moment (well, until I think of something to make for the next DCM challenge) I could sit down and start on the cards I have on order, couldn't I?  But no, it's a "holiday" weekend and I'm  going to play.
I've rarely joined in with any other challenge blogs but on my travels around blogland I see lots of interesting sounding challenges and think "I'll have a look at that when I get a Round Tuit" Well, just for once I've actually done it.

On Something Completely Different this month they are making twinchies and this week's theme is crowns.  
I used some mountboard - from a 50p bag I bought about 5 years ago -there's probably enough in that bag to last a lifetime
I hand-cut the crown and I can't help thinking it looks more like a hand than a crown. ho hum....I'm sure it was "curvier" when I started.
For the base square I used: 
heavily patterned lace to give texture to the base square
gold, purple and watermelon acrylic paints 
2 layers of UTEE
a scrap of pink beaded trim
 fine gold thread wound randomly
For the crown:
  gold acrylic paint
Gold wire threaded with lots of tiny beads 
 Glamour Dust 
 red and purple jewels 

I still think it looks like a hand.....

Next on my list was a sketch from 2sketches4U - my card is made using Kazan's sketch 53 
As I was getting into working in miniature I decided not only to shrink the sketch elements but also to make a much smaller card than I usually do - the card blank is only 10x10 cms, I've put a "papercrafter's measure" beside it to show how small it all is.  The flowers were mighty fiddly to make, but I really had fun making this one
A great chance to use some tiny scraps of Fancy Pants papers from way back, 
some ruffled ribbon, 
a bit of paper lace, 
some wire, 
some brads and a few dots of Stickles to finish.
I think I'll add a little "Hi" message in the corner, but then again, I might not....

Now I think I'll head off into that happy land of crafter's blogs and see what else there is to inspire me.  Or maybe I should see how many other challenges I can link these ones too.....nooooooo...."hush ma mouth" ....such a bad girl!.....{winks} hehehehehe
 Thanks for visiting, please leave a message, I love to read them - you know, I worry sometimes that I'm just here talking to myself...

28 comments:

Unknown said...

Adorable! This is simply stunningly adorable!
Thanks for joining us at 2S4Y this week
:) Kazan

Carol Plume said...

wow Kathy! what a gorgeous twinchie - loving all that texture and the beads are gorgeous! It does look like a crown - honest !

Your card is totally stunning - such clean lines and so elegant...beautiful

thank you for joining us at SCD xx

Janice said...

:o hope you don't fall into the blog crater Kathy hee hee hee! Read back your post. Love your twinchy, very regal indeed and I can see the hand too.

The card is great, it's so satisfying to use up those little bits of favourite paper.

cookcreateread said...

My goodness! I was right! It IS a gorgeous twinchie!!! Love all the beads and the opulousness (yes it is a word ok?!) of it!!!

Crafting Queen said...

Love the twiniche!!! Great card as well and the flowers are fab. Anesha

Kaz said...

Lovely card and twinchie Kathy. How nice to 'just make' for yourself xxx

Hazel said...

You've obviously had great fun with these with brilliant results (and it does look like a crown) x

Lynda said...

Hehehehe you crack me up ;-) and I'm glad someone's being creative this weekend - I'm just a shuffling the papers again - don't know what's the matter with me lately. Your twinchie is beautiful very rich and 'eastern' looking - gorgeous colours too and the card is so pretty Kathy - love the pastel colours and your lovely flowers.

Love Lynda xxx

Ania - "Z Papieru Tworzone" said...

Kathy it is so beautyful...
Hugs,
Anna.

Kathy said...

wow love that canvas!

Gez Butterworth said...

Woohoo... so glad you could join us this week Kathy. :D Your twinchie is FAB. I love your textured background & definately a crown to me. Good luck for the draw.xx

Unknown said...

what a great project and card for using all your scraps up on - i'm getting a worrying collection of scraps now!!!

Paula x x x

Unknown said...

sorry - forgot to mention the crown twinchie thing... cos i'm working backwards through your blog catching up and all that - i thought it was a different post (doh)!!!

Anyway - its fab it looks loads larger....

while i'm here - or the reason i'm here other than to catch up etc, is that I have an award for you on my blog if you would like to collect it... thanks

Paula x x x

Amy said...

pretty beading on your twinchie

Joanna said...

De-lish crown Twinchie - love the textures.

tracy said...

WOW!! those are both goergous kathy :)

Smita said...

Very pretty!! Lovely take on the 2S4Y sketch...

Hugs,
Smita

Vicky said...

Gorgeous stuff Kathy. So much work in that twinchie it's amazing. Love the card too, the way you've arranged the ribbon and the flowers, beautiful!

Julia Dunnit said...

Looks like a crown to me! Fab colours as usual..and I love the card - totally worth any faff for the flowers. Get you with 'free will' crafting!
Award for you over at my place.
And OMG word veri - CLEVER

lisa said...

You're always such a busy bee, Kathy. I love all your creations. These little minatures must take such patience. The little card is so beautiful. with it's little flowers, I love it.
Lisax

Traceyr said...

Kathy brilliant beads and shiny stuff on the twinchie it's great.

I adore the ruched ribbon on the sketch card - it's fabulous.
:)

Unknown said...

What a fab twinchie - such regal colours and I love the beards

Anne said...

I found my way here via Julia's Stamping Ground blog, and have enjoyed looking at your lovely creations. I don't think it looks like a hand at all - it's rather fabulous if you ask me!

Melissa said...

These cards are on totally opposite card-making ends! It's amazing that you can make both and think so out of the box! Great Job!

Karen said...

WOW...i love that twinchie...I hope that you mount it up in a frame sometime Kathy XXX

Artyjen said...

Fabulous crown twinchie...such great texture on the whole piece and the beading looks fab on the crwon itself :)
xoxo

Chris said...

oooh I love all the texture and colour on your crown twinchie and your card is something special too :D
hugs
Chris xx

Unknown said...

Difinate CROWN not hand ;0) and loving all that is going on too nice cheery bright & clean card

Love Dawn xx