Monday, May 10, 2010

But Now What?

I spent yesterday morning planting out all my sweet pea plants - needless to say the weather has turned a bit chilly and I'm wondering if it was such a good idea now.  Looks like I need to find some fleece to throw over them as the phrase "ground frost" was mentioned on the weather forecast.  They'd better not die - I still have the aches and pains from crouching in cramped bits of the garden beds trying not to damage the other plants around where the sweet peas are to be.

That done Hubby settled down to watch the Grand Prix and I settled down to do some crafting.  I'd seen a cute project for a concertina album I thought would be fun to make...and it was fun, and pretty easy to put together.  I thought I'd pop some pictures of it on here today
On one sided there are four apertures and on the reverse there are three.

Here's how it looks in profile if you lie it on it's back

All the pages squish together for relatively flat closing of the book.
The reason for the title of this post is that I can't decide what to with it now! Photos won't really work - they'd get spoiled by all the creasing.  So I thought I'd make it into another book of quotations, but now I can't work out the best way to proceed.  I spent ages yesterday printing some quotes to put inside - but this morning I'm stuck again as they just don't look right.  A bit of thinking time required - and maybe some input from you, my lovely blogmates!

On to something I did actually get finished and mailed - after a bit of procrastination, I admit - well making sympathy cards is never easy, is it? 

Sadly, one of the "Elder Statesmen" of my family died last week.  I've not seen him much in more recent years, so my memories of him and his family are from my own childhood.  He was a real, character - tall, noisy, vibrant, laugh-a-minute sort of man and from recent reports that didn't change with age! - he's going to leave a huge great big gap in his immediate family.   My memories of him and his family are very much intertwined with memories of my Grandma's house, which in turn always brings memories of her busy kitchen with home made bread rolls rising on the hearth, scones, pies and other home baked goodies - I'm sure I can smell all those delicious baking smells as I'm thinking about it!

Well, I've waffled on long enough, and it's lunchtime -and all that thinking of Grandma's cooking has made be feel very very hungry!
Thanks for looking in today, I'd love to hear your ideas about that little book of mine, so please do let me know what you think.


11 comments:

lisa said...

Hi Kathy

What has happened to the weather this week, they even mentioned SNOW in our forecast, it's MAY for goodness sake. Hope your sweet peas will be OK.
Your concertina book looks really interesting and the idea for using it for quotes sounds a good one, is there any way of fitting them into the apertures!!!
I was so sorry for your loss. Your sympathy card is so beautiful, perfect for such a difficult card to make.
I look forward to seeing what you come up with for your book
Hugs
Lisax

Crafting Queen said...

Wonderful shaped card. Your second card is lovely and sorry for your loss. Anesha

Tonje said...

It is so wonderful to read your post allthough it is about a relative that died. You write so great, in a way that I in my mind makes pictures and I am "travelling" in my mind to your grandmas house. Your card is very pretty, I think you did it very well and very "right". As you say, those kind of cards are never easy to make.

Your concertina album looks great and I'm looking forward to how it's going to turn out when it is finished!

As for your sweet peas, I hope they will survive. We got a horrible hail shower here some hours ago and I run outside barefooted to save the few flowers I have planted in some pots and put them inside again. We don't seem to get a warm spring this year. Rather an icecold one! Have a great day!

Kaz said...

That's a pretty card Kathy perfect for the occasion. It's good that you have such lovely memories of him.
The other project looks very complicated! xxx

Janice said...

A very complicated book, hope you find the right kind of quotes for it.
Lovely memories there, he was obviously a well-loved member of the family.

tracy said...

thats a lovely card kathy :)

loving the concertina thing too-looks a bit complicated to me!!!

Angelnorth said...

Intriguing construction on the book but I can see why you're a bit stuck now! You almost want a little diorama scene in each area, don't you? Great sympathy card, as you say, they always feel difficult, don't they?

Vicky said...

Lovely sympathy card Kathy and a lovely post, I'm smelling the bread rolls too. :)xx

Julia Dunnit said...

I am such a reluctant gardener, I clip edges and do tidying type stuff, the creative stuff is DH's dept...but I do love the results and sweet peas - lush.
The frighteningly clever pop up book - needs stamped quotes suspended in each aperture..it's the printed 'thing' that doesn't look right. Convinced? Hmm.

Unknown said...

I love the touching words on the second card. Beautiful.
I hope you don't mind if I use those words, as today is a sad day for our family, and they are just right for the people concerned. xx

Unknown said...

So sorry to hear of your family loss Kathy!

I love the sentiment on the card that you made.

xx