Friday, March 26, 2010

Eggstra Eggstra, Read All About It!

It's Lythan's turn this week  to set the challenge for Daring Cardmakers everywhere:
Thanks for all those lovely bird cards last week. In our case we can answer the question - what came first the chicken or the egg? because last week it was the chicken on a card and and this week its the egg! For our Dare is
How Egg-citing!
Easter is on its way. Which, amongst other things means Easter Eggs. So be inspired by egg shapes or chocolate or both! We are very sad this week because it is the last week to feature our wonderful guest designers Asia and Nat. You have been fabulous darlings - thanks so much for the inspiration! And we are also saying adieu - but not goodbye to our gorgeous Sue. She is having to take a leave of absence for a wee while. We will miss you Sue.
I think that yet again there were a few furrowed brows among the team at the beginning of the week - well our dares were never meant to be easy peasy - it's not a challenge if it's too simple, is it?
On Wednesday I still hadn't a clue what to do, but something Lythan said that day set the cogs working and an idea started to form.  Another chance for Mr Robo to do his stuff!

The pun came first I must admit, then I tried to come up with something to illustrate it. It seemed a cute idea to have an expectant mother duck (or is it a goose?) using a baby's pram to push her egg around in.  It also got me out of having to decorate a traditional Easter Egg.  The pram template is one I made ages ago, but I altered it for this card to make the hood look as though it was part way down. The egg is just made using the auto-draw ellipse that's on the Robo front page.  The duck/goose was a free colouring page image and took about 5 minutes to convert for Robo cutting as it was so simple!

 I used:
white and yellow Bazzill
Imaginisce papers
Prima Flowers
Card Candy, Brads, Stickles & Liquid Pearls
Sentiment is pc generated, scalloped circle is a Nesties die, plain circle is Robo cut

One of the fab things about the Robo is that it's a simple task to get several templates to work together even if they start off as very different sized images.  I thought I'd add a quick tutorial on how I married up a set of different templates so that they all cut to the same ratio, hopefully it'll be of help to someone out there!

To do this start by loading all the bits  needed onto the same Robo page.
Next put all the bits of each image together on top of each other - in this case I had all the pram bits together and all the goosey bits together, I left the egg aside while I got the rest right.
The goose was far too small to match up with the pram, by "drawing" a line around it I could drag it out from one of the corners until it was the right size for pushing the pram.
Next change the size of the egg first by eye, then put it into the pram and adjusted if necessary
With all the pieces matching,  move (roughly) into the positions they'll be on the card/project.
Now, Select everything in one outline and use the Position Settings (right click for menu, Position Settings is the last option on the drop down list)) to set the actual size you want - tick the Hold Aspect Ration box to keep width and height correct.
Once that's done you can separate all the bits for cutting in the card or paper you want to use.
Sounds complicated, but it's not really!

If I ever learn how to do screen shots I'll add some in!
Right on to the next thing on the list.
 





15 comments:

Hazel said...

Love the inventiveness (probably not a real word!) of this card - great line of thinking and fab robo work too, including the tut x

tracy said...

Ooo kathy,you really are quakers LOL
i love it,the colours are lovely ;)

Karen said...

AWE how CUTE is this card!!!!!! Love the delicate colours too Kathy and thanks for the tutorial XXX

Anonymous said...

this card is adorable Kathy, very clever image and sentiment combo!

Creative Treasures said...

I love this card, its such a clever idea, brilliant sentiment too :)

Tracy
x

Lythan said...

All the pondering paid off - its so amazing!

Janice said...

That is brilliant and the punning is 'so you' lol!

Kaz said...

Love this Kathy, the pun is so you - I had a chuckle when I saw it! xxx

Angelnorth said...

Fab pun :o) Love your take on this one Kathy, really made me smile!

Anonymous said...

This is really lovely and sooooo fresh looking! xx jo xx

Traceyr said...

I wasn't eggspecting a duck to be pushing a pram when I saw your sneaky peak! hahaha

Fabulous card Kathy. :)

glitterbabe 1969 said...

this is a lovely card i love the colour combination it really stands out well done from helen

Anonymous said...

Absolutely fantastic Kathy, your robo skills are just brilliant! Love the pun and the title too. :)

Vanessa x

Allison said...

its too cute Kathy
AllisonX

Lynda said...

Kathy you totally amaze me - this is just completely brilliant - I love that duck! It's a fantastic card. Thanks for my birthday card too - it came this morning - stunning flowers and colours. It's very special - thank you!

Love Lynda xxx