Friday, August 07, 2020

August Elemental Inspiration Challenge

Hello
It's a hot one today, so instead of having a big mug of coffee beside my keyboard, I've made myself a Nescafé Frappé.  There'll be no chance of drinking one in a harbourside taverna somewhere in Greece this year, so this is the best I can do for now - at least I've cracked how to make them now!

 There's a bit of a drinks thing going on with Joanne's August moodboard for the Daring Cardmakers this week

 August Elemental Inspiration Picture
It's Joanne here and as it's the first Friday of a new month that means an "elemental" challenge here at DCM. Choose at least three elements from the picture to include in your project (colour scheme counts as one element).
Click HERE to take a look at the inspiration from the Design Team - more information on individual blogs if you want to find out more about how the picture inspired them!
I thought I'd interpret the elements a little loosely this time, so went with 'drink' (the coffee from the photo), 'fruit' and leaves - I used wine instead of coffee, grapes instead of strawberries and my leaves are the cine leaves.  I really wanted to find a wine-themed background similar to the coffee one on the saucer, but failed to find a ready-made one and didn't have time to make my own, So instead I used the black and white striped paper and a white on black sentiment to echo the idea.  I love how the wine element works on the wide stripes!
Info
White card blank with square of wide striped paper by DCWV
Gold and Green scribble circles die by Tonic Studios
Wine die set and Celebrate word, both Spellbinders
I inked scrap card for the wine and leaves using several shades of inks. The glass was cut out in white, coloured with ink and then I added an acetate layer over the top - I ran the acetate die cut through my little Xyron 'X' sticker maker and it worked a treat for adhering to the card die cut invisibly. 
The grapes die comes with 2 sizes of circles that you can cut out to build up a nice 3D bunch, as well as using them on the large bunch, I made another smaller one to add an extra embellishment by the sentiment.
This die set is fab, I've used it more than I ever thought I would - it includes the wine glass, grapes and vine, a wine barrel and some cheese!
Sometimes thing go wrong and I cut the black part of the sentiment panel a little wonky, so rather than start over (I'd already had to make another little bunch of grapes as the first has gone missing!) I hid the error using those small pieces of black and white patterned card. I did mean to add some Glossy Accents to some of the grapes but I ran out of time to let it dry.

That's all for today, thank you so much for visiting, I hope you'll leave a comment, I'm so grateful and happy when someone leaves a message!

Happy Crafting, and please Stay Safe
 

3 comments:

Jackie T said...

Hi Kathy this is a stunning card. I love it. Have a good weekend. Take care. Hugs Jackie

jenny Ginger Ninja Crafts said...

Great card Kathy, I love seeing how everyone interprets the different elements, your wine theme is fab with the monochrome background. Really effective.
Jenny xx

KarinsArtScrap said...

such a beautiful card and great photo's above Kathy

Gr Karin