Friday, July 17, 2020

Down Mexico Way



Hi there
I hope you've had a good week, its been pretty much the same as other weeks around here, which is fine by me!  There was one little bit of excitement though - how could I forget!!  The garage door finally arrived and was fitted, and OH and I took turns at pressing the button to make it go up and down - well, you have to take your fun where you can just now, don't you?

I really enjoyed researching and making my card for today's Daring Cardmakers challenge.  Something a bit different and a bit 'right up my street' all rolled into one.
It's Svenja here and I'm inviting you to celebrate the life, work 
and home country of 
Frida Kahlo
Think of flowers, bold colours, strong eyebrows, her beautiful Casa Azul but maybe also of suffering and revolution. And of course of her country 
Mexico
  Click HERE to see this week's fabulous DT inspiration

I had a good old root around on t'internet looking for ideas on how to use Frida's extraordinary life and art as inspiration for something as simple as a greetings card.  Just for a moment I was tempted by some 'still life' paintings
 of juicy watermelons and other fruit, but in reality once I'd set eyes on all those gorgeous flower headdresses and rich coloured backgrounds there was no option

Info
 'Fat rectangle card blank
.Piece of white Bazzill card coloured with several shades of aqua and turquoise ink until I was happy with the depth of colour. I then used a woodgrain embossing folder to add texture and swiped a dark charcoal inkpad lightly over the raised areas before adhering it to my card. 
The flowers were die cut using dies from several collections and manufacturers so I won't name them all.  I inked thin card with the bright shades I wanted to use for the flowers and shaped them with a ball tool before assembling.
Once I'd made them up, it was a case of moving them around until I liked the layout, then sticking them down and adding a few pearls and gems 
Finally I made up a sentiment topper using a black and white 'Happy Birthday' and a few more patterned pieces from the bag of offcuts I keep on my desk, and some tiny banners cut from the leftover flower paper.

That's all for today, Thank You so much for visiting,
i hope you'll leave a comment, I'm so grateful and happy when someone takes the time to leave a messages
Happy Crafting, and please Stay Safe

6 comments:

Jackie T said...

Hi Kathy this is stunning card. The flowers are gorgeous and the colours are so bright and vibrant. Have a great weekend. Take care. Hugs Jackie

KarinsArtScrap said...

gorgeous card so cheerful Kathy


Gr Karin

Dawn said...

Just stunning. The blue embossed background with all those blooms is totally gorgeous. xxx

Shabneez said...

Those colours are amazing Kathy! Just gorgeous! Shabneez x

jenny Ginger Ninja Crafts said...

Gorgeous flowers with that contrasting background, just perfect! Jenny xx

Svenja said...

I soooo love this card! Turquoise is an alltime favourite with me and the sunny flowers stand out beautifully against the background.