Friday, September 14, 2012

Dig Out the Vellum

Vellum; it's not something I use often, but obviously being an addict to Crafty Stash Accumulation I still have a fat folder full of the stuff, so it was a case of crawling under the desk where the shelves hold "Stuff I don't use often" and finding it when Sharon announced that this week's challenge for the Daring Cardmakers would be to use Vellum in some way on our cards.
In the end I opted for some plain, pale yellow vellum and having unearthed the vellum I thought I'd use something else I hadn't used in ages and make a flower using one of the Cuttlebug quilling die sets.
 Here's my card

Materials and Tools
Papers: Bo Bunny 6x6 !Apple Cider"
Pale yellow vellum, Ribbon,  Black Stickles, Black glitter brad (prongs cut off)
Rub on Decal sentiment
Cuttlebug Daisy quilling die set

Vellum can be an awkward beast, it has a funny texture which sometimes makes getting it to do what you want a bit tricky - I wasn't sure it would work with the dies - you know what a pig vellum is to stick and I've found you really need to take some time to stick a couple of layers of the petal sections together (with the 2nd layer filling in the gaps between the petals of the first layer) before you start rolling them up,  And then I wasn't sure if the petals would fall into a nice shape when I'd put it all together, but apart from needing a bit extra bookbinding glue and a little more time, the flower worked pretty well.
You end up with quite a "deep" base to the quilled flower, so I die-cut a matching circle hole in the various layers of the card so that it sits flatter on the surface of the card - though it does mean there's a couple of mms poking into the inside of the card.

The DCM team have come up with some wonderful ways to use vellum - everyone has come up with something different, so it's a  really interesting challenge and one full of great ideas - if your vellum stash is unloved and unused, maybe you'll see something HERE that will inspire you to dig it out and join in with us this week.


6 comments:

Sharon (glitterangel) said...

Sorry to make you crawl under your desk this week :) but it was worth the effort, your card is gorgeous and that flower is just so delicate looking in vellum x

Kaz said...

That is such a beautiful flower and well worth all the faff (and crawling)! Love the whole card xxx

Karen said...

Your flowers looks so pretty Kathy! I am not a big fn of vellum myself but you have made a lovely card xxx

Angelnorth said...

Really pretty Kathy - the vellum has made a beautifully airy-looking flower!

Natty said...

Fantastic card Kathy - so sunny and happy. That quilled flowers is gorgeous. I will have to give it a go with vellum as my quilled flower dies have been neglected of late. ;)

tracy said...

thats really pretty kathy :)