Friday, May 03, 2019

A Few of my Favourite Things!

Hello, Hello!
I hope this Friday finds you well.  Did you get the thunder, rain and hailstones yesterday?  The chap who comes to cut our grass and generally keep order out in the garden was here yesterday morning and moaning about how dry the ground was and how brown the 'lawn' would look after he'd cut the top growth off.  Maybe the Weather Fairies were listening.....

Anyway, back to things crafty, as its Daring Cardmakers day again:


 It's Shabneez here and as it's the start of a new month, the May Elemental Challenge is on the calendar this week.
You just need to choose 3 elements from the board (colours counts as one element) to use when making your card.
So here's what I've chosen:
Pretty Inspiration Board, eh?  I chose the flowers (no surprise) ,
the butterfly (no surprise there, either),and the 3x3 square LO.  Plus I stuck mainly to the colours and threw a bit of gold in for the 'fairy dust' in the bottom left square 
Info
My first step was to make a background piece to cut my squares from.  I used some white card with a pearlised finish - it was in my scraps box and I have no idea where it came from!
I damped it all over with a wet wipe, then tore the wet wipe into bits and dabbed the card with various inks from the colour palette, gradually filling in all the white space. When it was dry I flicked some gold paint over it then again left it to fry before cutting into squares.
The edges of the squares were inked in a deep lilac shade and arrange on a panel of pale lilac card from Hunkydory's Adorable Scorable Pearl Bouquet card pack. This was then matted onto a smooth white card blank.
I inked some scraps of white Bazzill card on both sides with the colours I wanted for the flowers then but the petals using a set of 4 dies where the largest is about 3cms in size.  I think the die set is from either Marianne or Britannia
I used a ball tool to shape the flowers with 2 or 3 petals in each. I added small white stamens to their centres. 
 I cut a few leafy swirls using a Spellbinders set from a dull gold card to tuck behind the flowers and add a bit of background interest.
The sentiment is also cut in gold using a Spellbinders die set
 
For the butterfly I inked another piece of scrap white card using a couple of aqua inks and cut a plain large butterfly, and a small fancy butterfly from this piece of card.
I cut two fancy large butterflies gold vellum, one is a pearly gold vellum, the other has a gold rose pattern on it The four shapes were layered up with the small one as the top layer. They were all glued together only down the centre to allow the wings to stand out from the card.  I cut the body from black card to complete it
To finish I just added a few dots of gold Stickles for extra blinginess.  Yes, of course that's a word 😆
That's it, quite a bit of work in this one, but all enjoyable.  Whats not to enjoy about making pretty inky backgrounds, flowers and butterflies!
I hope you like it, I'd love to hear what you think so please add a comment if you can.
Thank you so much for visiting
Happy Crafting

10 comments:

Angelnorth said...

Pretty background for your lovely flowers and ruffled butterfly, lovely card Kathy!

Jackie T said...

Hi Kathy your card is gorgeous I love it. There is just so much detail. Take care. Hugs Jackie

Sylvia said...

Such a pretty card, love the background squares with the beautiful flower and butterfly embellishments.

Sylv xx

Andree said...

A gorgeous card Kathy. A lovely butterfly and a great technique for creating the beautiful background xx

Tina Chianna said...

Such a wonderful creation. The layout is so effective. JUst love everything about this... x

Holley (Tondre) Barnhart said...

So very pretty, great color choices

Rose Andrew said...

Gorgeous card and love the details. You really have inspired me with this background.
Hugs Rose

KarinsArtScrap said...

gorgeous and fabulous colours Kathy
Gr Karin

Jan said...

This is beautiful xx Jan

Dawn said...

So pretty. I love the technique you used to create the background. I must give it a try. x