Wednesday, May 11, 2011

The Study So Far

As the Bad Fairy of Procrastination has come for a visit (short one, I hope) I thought I'd tidy my desk. 
 I know, I know.... things must be bad!
That done, it seemed only right to mark the occasion with a photograph - a nice big one so you can click on it and have a closer look my new shelf-thingummyjig at the back. 
It's actually an expanding 3 tier shelf meant to go in your kitchen cupboard so you can see the tins at the back.  I saw it in the Lakeland catalogue and thought it would work for my bottles and tubs of brads etc.  My new desk is much deeper than my old one and tbh I can't even reach the back without standing up, so although it takes up about 210mm at the back of the desk I think this will work pretty well for me - as you can see there's still loads of working space in front.
Here's a close up
It's taking a lot longer to find the sort of boxes and baskets that work in the units than I'd thought, but bit by bit it's getting there.  I'd really like to disguise all the bitty bits and make the cubes look tidy but as you can see, there's a way to go yet.  Plus I keep moving the drawer and cupboard units around as I change my mind about where I need them to be - once I've finally decided they'll be fixed in properly so I need to make sure I'm happy before the hammer or screwdriver comes out
A little bit of customising has gone on with the shelf inserts. IKEA only sell inserts that divide the space into four sections, to be made up like this
I really wanted to have some shelves so we bought some of them and built them.  I started to fill them but really they weren't much good for my stuff and when I mentioned it to hubby he pulled them apart and used some of the pieces to make a much better format and the perfect size for some baskets we found at a local garden centre
The latest purchase has been 4 brightly coloured file boxes and a bigger storage box.  At the moment they are a "work in progress" as I'm not sure whether to use them for my paltry collection of stamps/paint/embossing stuff that I've put in them to start with, or whether they'd be better for all those bits of chipboard and ephemera that hasn't made it back into the study yet.  Maybe I should just go back to Smiths and buy some more of them. 
Well, that's how things are looking at them moment.  I really should be crafting today but as I said, the BFoP is in residence and no "I can make ....." ideas are getting through.
So I thought I'd show my latest note block (I've just used up all the pages in my old one), made with some lovely Funky Hand papers
I used
papers from the following Funky Hand download collections: Rainbow Stripey Stripes, Rainbow Polka Dots and Salt and Pepper, Letters are also from the Salt and pepper download.
Pink Seam binding, pink wired flower, 
black wired flower all from Creative Treasures
Other "flat" flowers in pink, grey and black from stash
Coiled roses made from scraps of the same papers, 
Glossy Accents and Glamour Dust on letters, 
Black Stickles
If one of the BFoP's cohorts is living with you just now, maybe a trip around the WWOWOYWW (Wonderful World Of What's On Your Workdesk Wednesday) might provide some inspiration.  It all starts with a visit to Julia's Stamping Ground and is a great way of seeing what crafters from all over he world are making (or not!) today
Thanks for visiting
Please come again soon

15 comments:

jude said...

Absolutely loving the work space and new cupboards look fab so much space!Those baskets fit just right.
Your note pad is beautiful.hope you get sorted soon and get down to some well earned crafting.
Happy Creative Wednesday
hugs Jude x8

scrapwordsmom said...

What a beautiful space. Mine is quite messy today. But I do plan on tidying up a bit. Happy Day!!

Leslie #105

Andria said...

What a fantastic workspace! I love seeing all of your shelves and cubbies. The tiered shelves on the desk are super; I have them for my spices, but maybe I should see how I can bring them into my crafting area! Happy WOYWW!

Angelnorth said...

The crafty space is looking great, love hubby's shelf modifications!

Sarpreet said...

hope the bad fairy goes soon, love your little stands, and all that space on the shelving unit - and its empty, thank you for sharing. Happy WOYWW 101, not long left until the 2nd anniversary, have you done your PIF? #2

Anonymous said...

Your room is so gorgeous Kathy. I must admit to being more than a tad jealous.

Traceyr said...

I do love your workspace Kathy and glad to see the orange bin is still in residence! :)

Lizzybobs said...

just love your work space what a lovely bright room to work in - and the shelf thingy is a brilliant ides - thanks for sharing :o)

Sunshine Girl said...

What a very tidy desk you have there! does it stay that tidy when you are crafting I wonder? I have that storage unit from Ikea too - only got it last week isnt it fabulous - it has totally transformed my craft room! thanks for sharing. Sunshine Girl No. 24

Anonymous said...

Love the workspace Kathy - I am a big fan of the Expedit!

Di said...

Looks great Kathy! And the Lakeland shelf thingie is inspired! Di x

Janice said...

Ha! I was right about Lakeland, how sad is that lol! Looking good and nice and tidy.

Elaine Harding said...

Take your time to get it just right! Looks fab - room to expand, or will all your current stash take up entire space I wonder? TFS Elaine#16

Julia Dunnit said...

OOh Kathy it's really coming on a treat. I couldn't agree ore about not committing to screwdrivers just now - a thorough test drive is the best recommendation! The BFoP is constantly at my door - driven away with a broom and new stash!!

Aquarius said...

Looking forward to the FH challenge this month. I really like the look or your workspace and that tiered shelf unit looks to be such a good idea - must visit lakeland soon to investigate.