Friday, May 20, 2011

Chasing Cars

It's Samm's turn to set the challenge for the Daring Cardmakers this week and boy has she come up with a fiendish one!
CHASING CARS - SNOW PATROL

Hi, It's Samm here, and I've set this week's challenge to use the song 'Chasing Cars' by Snow Patrol as the inspiration for your cards.

If you're not familiar with the song, then here's a links to the lyrics:
Chasing Cars - Snow Patrol

It means a lot to me, so I'd love to see what you all come up with, so don't forget to get your linking fingers on and show us what you've created!!!

 It's such a fab and unusual idea for a dare - and she's picked a wonderul song for us to use for inspiration.  The cards the team have made are to use that much over-used, and teeth-gratingly word ohhhh I don't think I can bring myself to write it so I'll make an anagram instead and you can work it out for yourself!  They are    EMAWOSE!

In my head I had the idea of little cars all nose-to-tail (like the M25) following each other round and round in a spiral from the centre to the outside edge.  I went ahead with this to begin with but it looked a right mess, I changed the background but it still didn't work.
So back to the drawing board, and I remembered about those interactive things where you turn a wheel and the little pictures appear in a window. 
After a few trial and error efforts, and a lot of gritted teeth and wasted black card I managed to get the circle in the right place at last.
Mind you, having spent all that time on the wheel I realised I didn't have a clue what to do on the the rest of it!
To Make this card:
Car images found using Google Image search then converting them for cutting with Craft Robo
Rotating circle section and window in black upper section both cut with Craft Robo
14cm sq card blank, white card, black card, large brad for attaching wheel,
Circle punch to allow you to move the wheel.
Strips of Black and White "Stripey Stripes" paper by Funky Hand
Paper for cars all from Fancy Pants 6x6 Beach Bum pad

Now I know how to make these I think I'll be doing more as they are a bit of fun whatever age you are.  The hard bit is getting the window in the right place as using a regular craft punch doesn't really work very well.
I hope you'll pop over and see the fabulous cards the team have made this week, and you'll feel inspired to have a go yourself.
I've been a bad blogger this week - I do have lots to share, but time and other things have conspired against me - you know how it is, I'm sure!
So that's it from me for today, I promise to catch up on my blog-hopping as soon as I can - so see you soon!
Thanks for visiting

14 comments:

Angelnorth said...

Love the idea of the cars chasing each other round - fab! The Americans call this a "view-master card" and there are loads of instructions for them online, maybe you'd find hints for an easier way of placing the window?

Anonymous said...

Lovely card Kathy and very clever!

Kaz said...

WHat a great card Kathy, love it! xxx

Lythan said...

this is brilliant Kathy. And I think you have a future as a hand model!

Unknown said...

LOVE the song and LOVE your card!

Lynda said...

This was such a clever idea Kathy - a wonderful card!

Love Lynda xxx

Dolly Mixtures said...

Love the black and white background and the colourful cars. Your idea of the spinning cards was so clever.

Samm said...

Wow Kathy, what a fantastic idea, it looks amazing!!

Sann
x

Jo said...

You are a genius with the craft robo! I love the little car wheel - fab card :D

jo x

Creative Treasures said...

What a great idea Kathy, love those little bright cars against the black card, it's fab.

Tracy
X

Hazel said...

Very clever idea for a difficult challenge x

Gez Butterworth said...

Great card. Very effective ♥

Sharon (glitterangel) said...

wow, what a clever idea - far too technical and clever for my little brain to cope with!

Becky Garrison said...

Kathy . . .

#1 - This is adorable! I would never have thought of the wheel, but now you know i'm going to have to lift it!!!

#2 - I'm so with you on the 'EWAMOSE' word! It is far overused!

#4 - Thanks so much for the sweet comment and words of encouragement on my card for this week! They are much appreciated!

Blessings, Becky