Saturday, February 01, 2020

Lumpy and Bumpy


Hello

I hope you've had a good week. We went to another of the Live Stream performances from the Royal Opera House on Wednesday - apparently these events are shown 'live' via cinema screens in 24 countries, I can't remember how many cinemas screen them altogether, but its a lot!!
A couple of years ago we saw their fabulous production of La Boheme, and when we saw they were doing it again this season, we couldn't resist seeing it again; everything about this production is simply fantastic - you're right there in that garret in Paris and at the end I doubt there's a dry eye in the house - in any of those locations its being streamed to!
I'd go and see it again....Poor Mimi

Shabneez set the challenge this week for the  Daring Cardmakers
and it was right up my street!

This week's challenge is called
 LAYER IT UP
 and is set by me, Shabneez.
 I'd love to see layers on your cards be it using papers, inks,
 decoupage or even paper flowers!

If you need some inspiration click HERE to see the Design Team's creations and get your creative juices going.....

Layer it up, she says....oh well, I don't mind if I do!
There is nothing like being given carte blanche to chuck all your favourite things at a project and make the lumpiest, bumpiest card you can. 
Anyway, here's what I ended up with

 
Info
I started by using a stencil for the background.  I can't remember the name but its by The Crafter's Workshop and I've had it for ages
A week or so ago I bought a colour coordinated batch of Nuvo drops in different types on one of Tonic Studio's special deals, they were all still sitting on my desk so I thought I'd experiment a bit and see if I could stencil with them.  Probably not the best things to use but I think the end product was quite nice - I liked the mix of matte, smooth, glossy, shiny, glittery I ended up with so decided to stick with it.
I threaded a piece of 1.5 cm satin ribbon through a length of eyelet lace.  The eyelets are much smaller than the ribbon and I liked the way the ribbon bunched up between the holes so I left it like that and just glued it across the card.
Another of the recent Tonic bundles that I succumbed to was 3 sets of scribble frames (square, circle and heart sets).  I used one form the squares set for this card.  I cut it four times and glued them all together and allowed to dry before covering the whole thing with different paints and glitter pastes. Once it was all dry, i used dimensionals to fix it in place over the lace, then added a piece of black and white card with diagonal stripes (I made it on the pc and just printed it out).  I think a bit of black seems to pull everything together and stop it looking too 'sugary' .
For my flowers, I inked some pieces of white card to match the shades on the background and used one of my favourite Spellbinders die sets to cut them out, the flower centres are from a different set.  After shaping the petals I added a sequin in the centre and a blob of a rose gold shimmery Nuvo drop
The flowers were arranged and glued in place, then I added some leafy swirls tucked under the various layers/
 
A few more blobs of various Nuvo drops were added to the white border.
The last thing was the sentiment, which I really wanted to be white lettering on a black background.  I know a lot of people do this by stamping and heat embossing, but I rarely do any stamping so instead I had a go at making some sentiments oin the pc.  I was quite chuffed at how they turned out and admit that I got a bit carried away and ended up making quite a few more than I needed!






 That's all for today, I hope you'll feel inspired to join in with us this week.

Thank you so much for visiting, I really appreciate your messages.  
Hope you have a great weekend
Happy Crafting!


4 comments:

Jackie T said...

Hi Kathy this is a gorgeous card it is just so pretty. I love it. Have a great weekend. Take care. Hugs Jackie

KarinsArtScrap said...

this is gorgeous Kathy and fab colours
Gr Karin

Julia Dunnit said...

Ah La Boheme, love it. poor Mimi and her frozen hands! Meanwhile, LOVE the card and your cheerful colours, title made me smile. My daughter used to call rice pudding lumpy bumpy!!

Holley (Tondre) Barnhart said...

wow, just gorgeous, great floral layout