Friday, July 18, 2014

On the Waterfront

 It's Nat's turn to set the challenge for the Daring Cardmakers this week:

Out on the Water

This week we're escaping to the waterside. It's that time of year when many of us will be heading for the beach to enjoy the waves, lazing by the pool or spending time by the lake swimming all day long or being more adventurous and doing some fun activities on the water.
Your challenge this week is to make a card that celebrates any aspect of how we humans enjoy the water on our planet.

For some people that title might immediately bring  swimming pools, lakes or rivers to mind, but although we live abut as far from the sea as you can get in England, I was born at the seaside and once a seasider, always a seasider!  I did try to think of other watery themes but I was soon back to the sea.
Even so, I'm not impressed with the card I made for Nat's lovely challenge, it just didn't work out as planned and I'm still in a bad mood about that
Info:
Patterned papers are from a couple of download paper collections from
I resized them to quite a small size (to print at about 6.5cms wide) so that the patterns wok on tiny items - this is just one of the brilliant things about using digi designs!
Bazzill card in yellow, orange, deep blue, light blue black white and red
Windsurfer, Tugboat, Galleon, and yacht (on right) are all cut on the Silhouette Cameo using my own templates, the yacht 2nd from left is hand-cut
Orange "setting sun" die cut using the 2nd largest in my set of Xcut circle dies
Sea is created using various Versamagic and Memento ink pads.  The waves are hand cut and there's some Ice Stickles over the top
Sentiment is also Silhouette-cut, with a little anchor charm added to the corner

So, as I wasn't too pleased with that one, I thought I'd try somethin else and made this one earlier today.  I'm not usre I like this one either though!
Same windsurfer template, and more Funky Hand papers,  this time  the "Come What May" set from the  "Craft the Year Away" CD
Inky background made with Distress Inks
Circle aperture cut with a plain circle from the Spellbinders Nesties set
Swirl Corner embossing folder by Crafter's Companion, inked over and Ice Stickles added on top.  I thought the pattern on this folder looked a bit like swirly waves
Hand-cut Beach Huts - because I can't make two beach themed cards and not have a beach hut somewhere, can I?

I think the main problem I had was that I liked the card I made last week for The Sketch File better!
I thought I'd have a little wander back through old projects I've made that have a seaside theme - sometimes it's good to see what other ideas you've come up with for a similar theme - and it reminds me of things you like and things that you're not so happy with too!
I do like having a bit of fun and making a shaped card (I've been indulging myself with making a few of those recently, as it happens) - this one is a rocker card, and seeing it here, reminds me of the card I forgot I was going to make for today's challenge - oops!
This was a favourite Summer card from last year - it started with a total disaster of a card, which I pulled apart - I salvaged a couple of the elements to use, but needed to make a couple of new ones too.
Do you notice a certain recurrence of ric-rac braid when I make seaside cards? hahaha
My wander along Memory Lane found this last card which reminded me that it was supposed to be made into a picture by adding it to a canvas - well that was the plan, but I didn't get round to it and now I'd need to unearth the card first - but maybe I will, you never know
That's enough waffling, I reckon! 
I hope you'll pop over to the DCM BLOG and take a look at the cards the team have been making this week

Thanks for visiting, please leave a comment, it's always lovely to read them


6 comments:

Kaz said...

Wow this post is a treat for the eyes, so much gorgeousness!! I think you are far too harsh on yourself Kathy, your cards are always lovely xxx

Angelnorth said...

Well, you might not lke them but both cards for this week's DCM look very cheery to me, sure to raise a smile from the recipient!

Hazel said...

I love all of these - so nice and bright and summery x

Miri said...

I LOVE your card that shows all the activities you can do "on the water". It's beautiful.
(I guess the only problem really is that it doesn't look like the card you envisioned in your head)

Dawn said...

WOW, lovely selection of cards. I think I have emailed you but my computer is not playing ball.

Carol said...

Hi from Ireland Kathy.
I love your style! The second one with the windsurfer in the circle is my favourite.
Cards by Carol