Tuesday, March 11, 2008

If at first you don't succeed...

...wait till another day and see if Blogger is in a more compliant mood.

Last Autumn I spent days and days planting hundreds of Spring flowering bulbs in the garden. We'd been rather surprised to discover no daffodils, tulips etc grew ihere even though the garden is quite old. To be honest, we thought it was probably due to the resident squirrel population digging them up, and we have had to re-plant quite a few when we've found them on the surface rather than several inches below (bulbs that is, not the squirrels)
Anyway, it was nice to see lots of the bulbs come up and to know that the little blighters didn't get them all.
We've had snowdrops, crocuses and lots of daffodils, but something very strange has happened with the tulips - the ones that are already in flower are perfect, regular sized flower-heads - but on teeny weeny little stalks - don't they look silly, poor little things. I know that cut tulips continue to grow if you put them in a vase of water, but I don't really think these little guys will make much headway, do you?



I love this birthday cake template from the March Crafty Templates set.

It's a great shape to begin with, but is also fun to jazz up a bit in whichever way takes your fancy. I chose to use little flowers cut from the 3 Bugs paper that comes in the March "Birthday Star" Goodies Kit.

Having decided to use this style of tri-fold card, I then needed to decorate the other bits too, so carried on cutting out more flowers and I some of the paper flowers from the kit, then fixed them to the upper edges of the back two faces of the card - I used 3d foam to stick some of them. That lovely "Happy Birthday" ribbon behind the big flower and the green organza ribbon tied through the button are also from the kit.







Thanks for looking, I hope you like what you see.
Please leave a comment, I love to read them!



11 comments:

Nikki said...

The card is gorgeous!
As for your funny little tulips....I don't quite know what to say LOL!

Angelnorth said...

this looks great Kathy - lots going on! Love the wish upon a star one, too!

Kaz said...

Gorgeous card Kathy, I love those flowers. What strange tulips you have!! I've never seen that before.

Janice said...

These are lovely cards. I like the cake template, that could be very useful. Not sure about your tulips, maybe they had some adverse weather conditions that stunted them - did you use bulb compost or just ordinary stuff?

Gina said...

I think your tulips are adorable!
Love the card! ~ it's going to make someone very happy!! :O)

Judy said...

Thanks for your kind comments re; my Gothic Arch, Kathy!
Love the tri-fold and star cards, and everything else on your blog, too!
Judy NZ

Anonymous said...

awesome card

Penny said...

Awww, poor little tulips LOL! They are still pretty though :)

Love this card , so funky and a great shape! Thanks for the comments on my blog as well xx

Ana Baird said...

Great work! Love them!

Sarah said...

Kathy I love you template cards, really fab! Must have taken ages to cut all those flowers out!

Anonymous said...

OMG Kathy - wot you dun to those tulips? LOL

Maybe the squirrels only had a little bite out of the bulb and then replanted them. LOL The flower heads look perfect though.

Traceyr