Friday, January 05, 2007

Hungry?

So, here's my Special Occasions Gateau. It's easy but time consuming - but worth it as it looks so impressive!
I make loads of wafer thin "biscuits" (about 20cm diameter) lightly flavoured with ginger - this one had 14 layers I think. These can me made ahead which helps a lot. I also make the chocolate curls ahead of time and keep them in the fridge - sometimes this is the most difficult bit of the whole thing as getting the chocolate to the right level of "set" to make the curls work is hit and miss. About an hour before serving I whip the cream with a bit of icing sugar and a few tbsps of brandy until it's firm then spread a small amount between each biscuit , leaving some for the top of the gateau. Then all the chocolate curls get piled up on the top and it goes in the fridge till it's time to serve.


11 comments:

Lynne said...

Ooooo yummmy.....Kathy this looks scrummy ...... ***slurp*** this is not helping my healthy eating 8)

Sue said...

well I will be expecting THAT next time we coffee

that was your reminder...check your timetablexxx

Anonymous said...

That looks fab!

Jo said...

wow! that looks fantastic, how clever are you?!! Bet it tastes super yummy too :)

jo xx

Tracey said...

OMG I am now salivating - please remove that piccie, it is simply too scrumptious!!! You evil temptress!!!

Gillian said...

Well I wasn't hungry till I saw this...I wonder how many New Years Resolutions have been broken since you put this post on.. LOL....

Susan Hurley-Luke said...

Oh, wow Kathy - that cake is amazing! Trust you all enjoyed it! It reminds me of a cake I once made outof cookies and cream - called Biscotin Torte. The biscuits came out of a packet so it looked quite different to your lovely scrumptious offering - but it was the same principle and we wolfed it down! And yes, I used to make paper dolls too! Lol! We'll have to incorporate paper dolls into a card sometime soon, hey? 'See' you again before too long :-)

Pearl said...

oooo I wouldnt mind having some of that scrumptious gateau !


TFS !

Lisa said...

If Sue leaves any cake, feel free to post some up to me won'tcha Mrs B ;o) yum yum!

Anonymous said...

ok that is impressive and I love it.......would love to try some lol.

Anonymous said...

Oh My God....that looks soo yummy. Don't let Sue eat it ALL, save some for me.