Friday, August 14, 2009

Lacy Days of Summer

Over on the Daring Cardmakers this week it's my turn to set the dare and after last week's tricky Flip-flop, or Swing" challenge I'm making it nice and easy this time and just using one word as the starting point for our card-making!

"LACE"
You're free to interpret "Lace" in whatever way you like;
you could use the actual word on your card, use a lacy stamp, cut a lacy design or maybe use one of these dictionary definitions to inspire you:
1. a net-like ornamental fabric made of threads by hand or machine.
2. a cord or string for holding or drawing together, as when passed through holes in opposite edges.
3. ornamental cord or braid, esp. of gold or silver, used to decorate uniforms, hats, etc.
4. a small amount of alcoholic liquor or other substance added to food or drink.
I have to say, the girls on the Design Team have surpassed themselves this week and the cards on the DCM BLOG are absolutely stunning, they surely can't fail to have everyone itching to join in.

I made a completely different card to the one I was intending when the postie arrived fairly early yesterday morning bringing a box of glorious new papers by the Black Market paper Society. On opening the box all other plans vanished and the only decision was whether to use the Ebony and Alabaster set, or the Vintage Romance ones.

It had to be the latter because as soon as I saw them I knew they'd look perfect with the Artful Flowers and the gorgeous cream lace that has a gold thread running through it
I managed to get two different sorts of lace on to this card plus a tiny bit of actual lacing - which will be a real nuisance to whoever receives this card - I think if I do this again I should give the card a "fake" front as it's a total pain to thread/unthread this for opening and closing the card.


I needed to give a large cream bloom a bit of a makeover to form the base of the big flower, it's been inked and stamped and edged with gold Krylon.
The larger Artful Flower wasn't quite big enough so I separated the petals of two matching flowers, then glued them around a punched card circle to build a bigger version, I added one of the smaller AFs to the stack and topped with another card circle filled with Glossy Accents and shiny black beads

Supplies: Vintage Romance papers (Black Market paper Society), Prima Artful Flowers, Cream Lace with gold thread (Charmed Cards & Craft) , Black velvety sticky backed lace trim (Ribbon Oasis), "Old Gold" eyelets and narrow brown ribbon form my stash
Coiled roses are tiny versions of those demoed on the Cosmo Cricket blog - yes, I'm addicted to them....

I had a ball making this one, I love using textures and having an excuse to go mad with luscious lace, ribbon and flowers is just heaven for me! I really hope other people will enjoy this little challenge as much as I did!
Please take a look at the other cards on the blog, they are fabulous and a real treat to the eye!

Today I'll be thinking about how to use the Ebony & Alabaster papers because they are glorious. Have you noticed that I'm getting better at actually using my stuff rather than just admiring and stroking it for weeks first? lol

12 comments:

Kaz said...

Yes you are getting better at diving straight in with them!
I love this card and what a brilliant idea to attack the flower to make it work.

Karen said...

Oh Kathy...this is wonderful! I love all the textures and touchy-feelyness of it X

Lythan said...

What a wonderful card Kathy. So much lushness in one small (ish) place :)
And well done on using it straight away. It is a much better plan than saving stuff up. Cos then new stuff comes out.

SueH said...

This is absolutely stunning Kathy.

The whole card is a work of art with all the detail you’ve managed to include in it……Oooooo and those papers!!
Can’t say I’ve seen those papers myself and I may have to do some more shopping if I can justify it after my spending spree a few days ago.

Sue
x

Rika said...

absolutely gorgeous,
love the mix af colors and papers.

tracy said...

this is simply stunning kathy :)

Angelnorth said...

I wondered if that lacing was actually keeping the card closed when I saw it on the DCM blog - now I know! Looks fab though, the papers are lush and I love your stacked flower, lovely job!

Julia Dunnit said...

Bloomin yummy.

queen-of-nostalgia said...

Wow! I just found your blog! Amazing card.... I can't wait to see more as I read older posts :)

Paula J Atkinson said...

This is absolutely stunning, Kathy. Fabulous colours & vintage theme.

Esther said...

ooo really liking those strockable brown swirls, and paper roses!

Jo Nevill said...

Oh wow, your card is amazing and the amount of detail you have put into it is fantastic. Love the papers and the vintagey look. What a fab idea to make flowers bigger. I would never have thought of that ! Stunning.

Hugs,

Jo x