Friday, October 02, 2020

Just Stay in with a Good Book and a Drink of your Choice!

 

Hello....
I'm blogging from a very wet Hertfordshire today, and the weather suits my mood! It's getting harder for me to avoid my hibernation tendencies!
I hope you are feeling less grumpy than I am!

It's felt very Autumnal the last couple of days, the leaves are definitely on the turn now, but as yet they are not falling too much - hang on in there, I say!  Those dreary months of bare brown branches and dead looking earth are so long and so depressing.

Did I mention I was feeling grumpy?

  Anyway, its Daring Cardmakers day and reflecting the nicer, cosier side of the impending dark days Dawn's chosen a lovely photo for the October Elemental Challenge

October Elemental Inspiration Challenge
As its the first Friday of the month, its time for an elemental inspiration challenge. I have found an image which I think is perfect for October.  

Lovely warm autumnal colours and lots of textures.  
Please remember to use at least 3 elements from the image below on your creations and have fun.

Using the Colour palette counts as 1 element..
We're looking forward to seeing what you make
 
Click here to see this week's design team inspiration
I managed to squeeze a few of the elements from the picture into this one.  My original idea was to use a page from a book, but then, browsing around the digital downloads on Etsy for something to use I came across a fab collection of book spine digis which I couldn't resist!  I love digital images for the scope they bring to the crafting table - easy to crop, to cut bits from and of course to resize to fit your project

 
The elements from the image that I've used this time are: Book, Drink, Black and White (from blanket), Texture, Wool strands (Twine),  
 
Info
Fat rectangle white card blank, with a side fold
I stsarted by adding some Autumnal shades of ink to the card, then angled a stencil with a 'weave' pattern over the top and rubbed a Nuvo Bronze embossing paste (Tonic Studios) through part of it to add some of the texture from the picture.
The Book Spine download is from LuckyBeanStore via Etsy 
 
I resized and printed my chosen book spine image onto white card and printed it out.  After cutting the image out I spent some time folding along the lines between the books, then running a largish ball tool down the back of each 'spine' 
Next, to echo the gold lines on the book spines I added a margin-line of gilding flakes, plus a bit more on the lower left edge for an old book distressed kind of feel
The Black and White chevron paper was adhered to the top section, and some twine strands glued in place before the book image was glued in place - I used a piece of corrugated cardboard between the layers to give more dimension to the books
Next I hunted out a good quotation a
 
nd found the perfect one for Dawn's image from C,S. Lewis
For the cup and saucer I used dies from Spellbinders, but as they were a bit too big, I drew inside the cut line until I got the size I wanted. For the handle I used a swirl punch shape, which was more interesting than the basic circle shapes in the die set.
All the Black and White elements were created on the pc


I'm not sure I entirely agree with C.S. Lewis though, as I don't really like tea, and reading the trilogy of "A Suitable Boy" AND carrying it around for months while doing so, I'm not sure the long book bit either 😄 At least these days a Kindle means you don't go everywhere carrying you own personal doorstop!

Anyway, do pop over and see what the team have been busy with this week - and we would love to see your creations using elements from the picture too!
Thank you so much for visiting today, I hope you'll leave a comment, I really appreciate it when people take the time to leave a message!

Happy Crafting, and please Stay Safe, its getting a bit Covid-scary out there



8 comments:

SueH said...

I could curl up with a copy of Jayne Eyre and a hot chocolate right now too!

Try not to be too grumpy. Think of it as a promise of things to come and it won't be long before the crocus and snowdrops start popping up and make us smile.

Sue
xx

Opps.....meant to say I love your card!

Jackie T said...

Hi Kathy this is a stunning card. I love to be snuggled up with a hot drink and a good book. I hope that you have a good weekend. Take care. Hugs Jackie

KarinsArtScrap said...

beautiful card Kathy

Gr Karin

Andree said...

This is fabulous Kathy. A lovely collage and a great sentiment. Books and tea, two of my favourite things.
It's miserable, wet and windy here in our corner of Wales. Hibernation sounds good to me xx

Dawn said...

Loving the row of books you have used. I am snuggled up drinking coffee as I visit blogs today. x

Angelnorth said...

Great collection of elements and I think I'm with CS Lewis on this one - cuppa and a book (preferably with wood burning staove to curl up next to) and I'm all set! Hope you get more cosy than grumpy over the coming seasons!

Holley (Tondre) Barnhart said...

I love me a tea card, this one is just perfect.

Svenja said...

Love this! I mean... what's not to love about a pile of good books anyway? Also to have a little b/w mixed in with the autumn colours is a perfect touch.