Friday, October 09, 2020

Vintage Decoupage Postcard

 Hello....

 It's a bright, blue sky kind of day here, but I'm Mrs Grumpy again!  I have good reason to be - we thought the issue with the boiler of a few weeks back had gone, but no its got worse and we've had no heating for the last few days and any hot water that was left in the system is on the cool side of tepid now.  
Have you tried getting a plumber lately 🙍

So we're going to hang on and keep our fingers well and truly crossed that our regular builder - plumber, who has plenty of experience with the house's weird plumbing  will find a few spare minutes to pop round and try to fix it because I get super-grumpy when I'm cold! Oh, and I have a headache too....

  Anyway, its Daring Cardmakers day Svenja has come up with something a bit different for us this week:

It's just the right time of the year for making cards and writing 
letters. Aaaand October 9th is world post day - so let's see some
Mail Art this week! You could feature letters and envelopes
on your card, decorate a beautiful envelope, make a postcard
 or even create some faux postage.
 
 

I decided to make a postcard....but then was stuck for what to put on it (so often the case when I sit down with half an idea in my head!)

I've a 12x12 paper pad by DCWV which has a Paris theme - the papers are fabulous, but a bit too big to be really useful for cards and mini album, but that said they are rarely put away on the shelf because I've used them for so many things- its one of those sets you keep digging into but the stack never seems to get smaller! Anyway, one of the papers has a few vintage postcard type images on it, so I thought one of those would be a good starting point

 Info

I cut the basic postcard shape from one of the DCWV 12x12 papers, then adhered it to some card to make it more mail-able.

Next I tore small pieces from other papers in the set, and a few bits from another Paris set of 8x8 papers, which may also be DCWV but must be at least 8 years old by now! I pasted down the scraps of printed papers, plus a few bits of gold foil biscuit wrapper (just happened to be on my desk...) and used thin coatings of PVA glue in between the paper layers to seal them.  I sprinkled Glimmer Dust over the glue while it was still wet, then when dry carried on adding more scraps of torn paper. more glue etc.  For the upper layers I used pieces cut rather than torn from the paper - the Gold Eiffel Tower, the words, the striped paper, flowers, and arranged them on the card before gluing down.  

The pink poodle is a die cut added for a bit of fun. 

Anyway, do pop over and see what the team have been making this week - and we would love to see your mail-themed creations!
Thank you so much for visiting today, I hope you'll leave a comment, I really appreciate it when people take the time to leave a message!

Happy Crafting, and please Stay Safe, its getting a bit Covid-scary out there






4 comments:

Jackie T said...

Oh Kathy this is gorgeous. I love it. I hope your boiler gets sorted soon. I get grumpy when I am cold too. Take care. Hugs Jackie

KarinsArtScrap said...

beautiful Kathy
Gr Karin

Holley (Tondre) Barnhart said...

great project today, love the layout

Svenja said...

Beautiful take on the theme, Kathy. What a great idea to create your own vintage postcard!