Monday, August 23, 2010

Baby Girl

Well, it's not raining atm, but oh boy! did it rain in the night, all night.  So much for all that "Oh is this going to be as good a Summer as that of '76?" yakka on the radio that I was sick of hearing a month or so back!  We have flippin' mushrooms growing all over the back lawn!  Even the courgettes have slowed down, they could do with a bit of sunshine like the rest of us - mind you, according the running count I keep on the kitchen whiteboard, we've already had at least 39 (probably more as we don't always remember to add them!).  We've had loads of runner beans too and I've been trimming, slicing and blanching some of those for the freezer over the last few days.  The blackberries seem happy with the weather too - I've already picked almost a kilo just from the 1 bush we have in the garden.
The last couple of weeks have been pretty full-on what with one thing and another, and with visitors over the next couple of weeks it's not going to ease up anytime soon.  On Saturday hubby was in London doing some "hand-holding" one of their big clients was installing new software  so I thought I'd give myself a day off and do something different.

I did some baking and made a cake (now in the freezer ready for next week) and some cupcakes/fairy cakes.  With the garden glut at this time of the year I'm always on the lookout for tempting new recipes and I found one somewhere for this Chocolate and Courgette Cake.  The mix was huge - that'll teach me to check through the ingredient quantities before I start - so I did half the mixture in a cake tin and used the rest in muffin cases.  We've been "sampling" the little cakes over the weekend and those in the photo are all that remain. Have to say, they are delicious!

One of my recent commissions was for a card to celebrate the arrival of anew baby girl
I used:
"Wishful Thinking" papers by Fancy Pants
Ruffled Ribbon and Stripy Cotton Twine from The Ribbon Girl
Pram. Large Background circle and Scalloped circle were all Robo cut with templates I made in PSP
"Welcome" sentiment made with Rub-on Decal paper from Crafty Computer Paper
Brads and ribbon from stash, MS edging punch, pc generated message

Thanks for looking in today, please come back soon

11 comments:

mckinkle said...

So lovely to read your diary of your home grown veg, sounds amazing! Weve just got loads and load s of green toms here hoping also for a little bit of sunshine!
Oh wouldnt it have been lovely if the summer had even been half as good as '76!?!

Beautiful card, I love the bunting on it and the super soft pinks!

Keryn x

Anonymous said...

I agree Kathy - we need more sun! Please! Before winter descends upon us again.
Yummo cakes! They look very scrummy. Never a chance of putting any in the freezer in this house though! Not with two teenage boys anyway, lol.
Love the baby card - the banner is gorgeous...x

Di said...

Your baby card is gorgeous Kathy and those cakes look scrummy. Certainly not a combination I would have thought would go together. How lovely to have so much home grown veg too, you can't beat it.

Bev said...

Kathy loving this card. I must add to my list that MS punch. its gorjuss. you have been busy with your cakes. they look oh soooo yummy. I can comment on the summer of 76 as dont really remember I was only 6. I hopethis weather picks up b4 the weekend as we are going to be on the norfolk coast.
enjoy your day . hugs xxx

annes paperfun said...

Gosj! So..so.. lovely baby card!
Thank you for your comment in my blog :o))
Hugs Anne

Angelnorth said...

Great baby card Kathy, love the ruffled ribbon! Cakes look scrummy and you can count it as one of your five a day, too ;o)

CraftyC said...

Love the cakes and your card is gorgeous Kathy!
Clairexx

Karen said...

I have spent most of the morning sorting a bag of runner beans that was passed in. I am so grateful that Mum gave me her old bean slicer tho.

YUM...I can almost taste those cakes...I love that flavour combo & have found that the big cake will stay moist for ages, just like it does with carrot.

Such a pretty new baby card...I love that ribbon (I got some after your post about Ribbon Girl :D )

HUGS XXX

Lynda said...

Nothing like a bit of good home baking - those cakes look delish! So does the card - it's very pretty.

Love Lynda xxx

Hazel said...

Those cakes do look very yummy - and lovely to know that they are made from your freshly grown produce. Gorgeou baby card x

lisa said...

Hi Kathy. Sounds like you've been busy while we've been on our hols. All that lovely homegrown. I'm rubbish at growing veg, I'll have to come to you for tips, especially if you can turn courgettes into those delicious looking cakes!!
Your baby card is beautiful, a perfect keepsake.
Enjoy your visitors.
Hugs Lisax