Friday, June 12, 2020

Flights of Fancy


Hi there

I hope you are keeping well and staying safe.
  It's not all over - just read what front line doctors and nurses are saying about how scared they are about people who have that "its all back to normal" kind of attitude!
There's been a lot in the Media this week about tourism and more specifically the various airlines.  I mean, really?  Would You want to be cooped up for several hours with a load of strangers - with no idea where they've been, who they've been in contact with, what they've touched?  
Much as I'd love to disappear to a Greek Island for a week or two, it won't be happening any time soon!  
So for now I'll travel in my dreams and via photographs.
The whole 'flying' thing has been in my mind a lot, not only because of British Airways and co, but because of Shabneez's challenge to the Daring Cardmakers this week! 
  
It's my turn to host the challenge this week and I have gone with a theme that I hope you'll enjoy as there are lots of choices:
Wing It!
Please use anything with wings on your cards this week - insects,
birds, fairies or even planes!
To get you started, Click HERE for this week's inspiration from the design team

Just for a very short time I thought about not using butterflies - but in reality that was never going to actually happen!
 
 Info
To begin with I used a couple of stencils to make the background. A large circle one was taped into position, then another with a kind of dotty, spattery pattern was placed over the top and inked through with pale blue, and a little pink ink.  When the stencils were removed I added a few 'dots' from the spatter stencil just outside the circle too
My butterflies are from dies by Hunkydory and Ultimate Crafts.  I got some gorgeous new Washi tape earlier this week so had a bit of an experiment with one of them.  I taped a few strips of Washi onto a sheet of thin card and used this to cut the lower wings of the butterflies.  I think it worked pretty well, especially as these designs are so detailed and have added gold highlights.  The upper wings and body sections were just cut in black card.
I used a pretty die cut border across the card, then above that another strip of the same Washi tape.  The black and white striped strip of card was positioned so that just a tiny Washi tape stripe is visible. 
Once I was happy with the placement of the butterflies, I added the sentiment pieces.  The Black and white designs and sentiment were pc generated, 'Hello' was die cut twice, one layer in black and one in gold
To finish, I punched and die cut some really tiny circles of gold card, and scraps of the washi tape wing waste to sprinkle around on the background



That's all for today, Thank You so much for visiting,
i hope you'll leave a comment, I really love seeing your messages!

Happy Crafting, and Stay Safe
 

2 comments:

jenny Ginger Ninja Crafts said...

Gorgeous card Kathy, I love how your butterflies look like they could just take flight at any moment! I quite agree it's scary to see people acting as if the virus has just disappeared just because we are fed up! I think we are a little luckier in Scotland with a much slower approach to opening back up but apparently there are lots of visitors coming up from the north of England (where the R is supposed to be much higher) so hopefully that doesn't affect the progress being made. I'm quite happy to be patient and wait until it's safe. Take good care and have a lovely weekend.
Jenny xx

Jackie T said...

Hi Kathy this is a stunning card. It is just so pretty. I love it. Take care. Hugs Jackie