Friday, June 05, 2020

June's Elemental Inspiration


Hi there

I hope you are keeping well and staying safe.

 Last weekend we made a 'socially distanced' visit to my cousin's garden. It's the first time I've been further than the 'Click and Collect' thing at the supermarket and a change for him too as he lives alone and hasn't seen many people since the home-working began. He doesn't drive and public transport isn't a good option at the moment, so we took our sandwiches and he had his own, and we sat in his garden at the prescribed distance apart. Not quite the pub lunch we usually meet up for, but it was a really lovely afternoon  all this really makes you appreciate the simple pleasure of a sandwich sitting in a garden, having a good old chin-wag with someone you've not seen since New Year!
Anyway, I was really aiming to get this week's Daring Cardmakers project blogged on schedule (for once).  I reckoned I just had time to do it before my grocery order arrived (yes, amazingly I'd managed to grab a delivery slot this time).  But then the doorbell rang and he'd arrived over half an hour early - typical! 😆

So I'm still late - and its my challenge too!  This week it's a , here's Miri's challenge for this week:
June's Elemental Inspiration picture

I've chosen a 'fun in the sun' kind of theme for my mood-board and I hope you'll have some fun with it.  All you need to do is choose at least 3 elements to use when you make your card.
Ideas:check design, flowers, water, picnic food, fruit, basket weave or wood textures, drinks, playing games, gardening. Summer song lyrics...
To get you started, Click HERE for this week's inspiration from the design team - and to meet our fabulous new Guest Designer
Itook the stripes from the deckchair, woordgrain texture from the jetty and a flower pot from the board, and added in a loopy sentiment for good measure.
I love the way our Nar used strong, wide horizontal stripes as a background for some of her cards, so I decided to have a go at something similar for my card.

Info
2cm wide washi tape was used for masking the white parts of the stripes, and using a couple of shades of lime green inks gave a bit more of a textural appearance to the stripes. When dry I trimmed a couple of cms off the side to make the card a fat rectangle - which seems to be my favourite card shape atm. For the pot I inked another piece of card with several shades of aqua ink, ending up with a very deep colour rubbed on for the top layer.  When it was dry I die cut the flower pot and caded a layer of PVA for a glossy finish. To add interest to the rim of the pot, I used some copper gilding flakes.
For the woodgrain panel I used a distressed stripes embossing folder and white card, then inked another piece of card in a darker sgade of green for matting.
The flower is made using a Dainty Daisies die set from Tonic Studios, a centre piece from (I think) a Die'Namics set, and leaves from a Spellbinders Die set of the month set.  
The Sentiment piece, and its tiny chevron background were pc generated

That's all for today, Thank You so much for visiting,
i hope you'll leave a comment, I really love seeing your messages!

  
Happy Crafting, and Stay Safe



5 comments:

Jackie T said...

Hi Kathy this is a stunning card. That flower is so pretty and I love the background. It is just so bright and cheerful. Take care. Hugs Jackie

Dawn said...

Love your bright and cheerful card. The stripes look fantastic as a background. x

jenny Ginger Ninja Crafts said...

Life happens Kathy, I'm impressed you got a delivery and it was early! I think it's one good thing from this lockdown that the simple things like catching up with a friend over a cuppa becomes a real treat again. I hope we can remember to be grateful for these things once life gets a bit more normal.
I love your card, it's so bright and cheerful, and I love the little pot of flowers. Have a lovely weekend
Jenny xx

Angelnorth said...

Love the vibrant stripes as a background for the lovely textured bloom - fab card Kathy!

Shabneez said...

Love the bright wide stripes and the bold pink flower against it Kathy! I see you are all done this week, well before me!!! Shabneez x