Friday, May 17, 2019

M for Mosaic, A for Aster Y for Yellow!

Hello

I hope you've had a good week.  We 'took a day off' on Wednesday and headed over to Whipsnade Zoo.  We've been sponsoring the elephants there this year so took the chance of a beautiful sunny day to go a-visiting!  I'll share some photos when I've got them sorted out.
Today though its time for another Daring Cardmakers challenge and it was my turn to come up with an idea. I have to admit that it's a tough one, but if you give it a go and maybe think a bit 'out of the box' I think you'll have some fun.  At least I hope so!

 M A Y letters   
You can make any kind of card you like, but I'd like you to incorporate at least one thing beginning with each letter of the word MAY into it.  For example colours, words, 'things' or techniques beginning with the letters
ideas:
M - Magenta, Mustard, Maypole, Monogram, Masking
A - Anniversary, Amber, Arch, Anchor, Apple
Y - Yellow, Yacht, Yupo paper, You. Yak!
Please do visit the BLOG to check out how the DT really stepped up to the mark with their cards this week -  we've added the M,A & Y elements by our names to help give more ideas
 
You know those nights when sleep eludes you, do you count sheep, or maybe count backwards slowly from 100? Well this week I spent far too many hours thinking of things beginning with M, A and Y!
In the end I made this, where
M = Mosaic, A = Aster(and Adorable) Y = Yellow

Info
First I used inks to make a background piece which when I dried I cut out using a lovely Spellbinders die - it's actually for a trellis background, but I often end up using the 'waste' to create a mosaic background rather than the trellis itself!
I also inked up both sides of some Bazzill Bling white card just in a couple of yellow inks for cutting the flower petals, and a smaller piece using orange ink to make the flower centre
It's been ages since I used these quilling flower dies, I used a mix of Cuttlebug ones (for the flower centre) and Crafters Companion dies for the petals. Those old Cuttlebug sets came with a very useful tool for doing the twirling if you remember.
The leaves of my Aster flower are actually cut using the large petal die from a Creative Inspirations Poinsettia die set.
Having clued down the mosaic pieces in a pattern I liked, there was a bit of space too small to continue the design, so I decided to trim that piece off the side and then let the flower and the sentiment piece go over the edge of the card. 
The sentiment was created on the pc, printed, trimmed and matted onto a piece of card inked to match the flower centre, and it was all done!


It was around this point that I realised I have a niece and a nephew both with names beginning with the letter A, who had their birthdays in May.  Which meant I could have simply made a card with their initial 'A' as a Monogram and put it on a yellow background and I'd have been done and dusted days and days ago!  So feel free to pinch that idea and join in! 

I hope you like it, I'd love to hear what you think so please add a comment if you can. It would be great to see your own ideas on this theme, you can see the rest of our cards, and join in HERE
Thank you so much for visiting
Happy Crafting

6 comments:

KarinsArtScrap said...

it's a beautiful card with a gorgeous flower Kathy
Gr Karin

Linda Simpson said...

I love this card Kathy, the flower is fabulous.
Hugs
Linda xxx

Jackie T said...

Hi Kathy this is a stunning card I love the design. The theme for the challenge is brilliant.Have a great weekend. Take care. Hugs Jackie

Sylvia said...

Fabulous card, love the Aster and mosaic background. Such a great challenge to streatch us.

Sylv xx

Jan said...

This is gorgeous Kathy nice to see such a cheerful card it's gloomy here!
xx Jan

Shabneez said...

A stunning bloom Kathy! Shabneez x