Friday, May 24, 2019

Celebrating the Victorian Era

 Hello

I'm late again today - I've been trying to ake something that seemed to have a mind of its own!  I think I finally got there, but it was a trial!
Anyway, it's Shabneez's turn to set the challenge for the Daring Cardmakers this week and it's a lovely one!
Celebrating the Victorian Era

It's Queen Victoria's birthday today so to celebrate I'd like to see something from her era on your cards be it a mode of transport, clothing, steampunk or you can pay homage to the Queen herself and do something regal!

CLICK HERE to see this week's inspiration from the Design Team 
I had a couple of ideas for this challenge.  The second one will have to wait for another time but here is the card I actually did manage to make!

The young woman in the photo is my Great Grandmother, she was born in 1870 and I think this would have been taken when she was about 20/21, so definitely a Victorian girl!
One of the interesting things I found out while doing some Family History research was that her mother (my 2xDreat Grandmother) was a dressmaker so I think its safe to assume that she made the dress Elizabeth is wearing - check out all the beautiful beading on the sleeves and bodice, and that fabulous bustle skirt you can just about make out!
I used an old Crafter Companion die to create the aperture, and added lilac card behind it, slotting the photo inside.
The lower edge is trimmed with white cotton lace, pale grey satin ribbon and a double bow, trimmed with a large diamante rimmed flat back gem

I made some paper roses and a couple of rosebuds which I fixed onto wire so that I could coil them for a bit of extra interest and added some bead strings to complete the 'bouquet'
To finish the card I added some tiny lilac gems 
That's all from me today, I hope you like this one, its lovely to use old photos on cards and this was a great opportunity for me to do just that!
Thanks for looking, I'd love to hear what you think so please leave a message

Happy Crafting!

7 comments:

KarinsArtScrap said...

it's a beautiful vintage card Kathy

gr karin

Holley (Tondre) Barnhart said...

Great card for the theme

Jackie T said...

Hi Kathy this is a stunning card. I love that image and it fits the theme so well. Take care. Hugs Jackie

Rose Andrew said...

Fabulous card ! Your great grandmother looks beautiful!
Hugs Rose

Jan said...

Great card Kathy xx Jan

Shabneez said...

You transported me back to the era with your card Kathy! Perfect card for the challenge. Shabneez x

Svenja said...

So elegant - a wonderful tribute to your great grandmother :-)