Friday, April 26, 2019

Balloons

Hello!
I hope you've had a good week.  Just a quick blog post today - time is running away with me just now!
Another Friday and another challenge from the Daring Cardmakers and this time it's our lovely Miri in the hot seat:
This week we want to see balloons on your cards.

I think they are perfect for any birthday card and easy to adapt to the recipient’s taste in colours, patterns etc.
There are lots of ideas from the design team to help inspire you, click HERE to see them!

Well, I set out to make a hot air balloon card - the dies I was going to use are still out on my desk. But while trying to work out how to use them I changed my mind completely and made this instead!

Info
The base card is made from Hunkydory's Adorable Scorable cotton white card with a silk finish on both sides. This lovely card has a slight gloss to it which makes the ink slide nicely and gives a lovely depth to the colours' 
I used a few shades of Distress Inks and Distress Oxides to make the background, then when I was happy with the colour I spritzed it with water to get the mottled effect. Once dried I cut off 3cms from the edge of the front of the card.
For the balloons I inked small pieces of the same card with bright inks shades.  The finish of this card means the inks take quite a while to dry.  I could have dug out my heat gun to speed up the process, but I went and had some lunch instead 
Once dry, I cut a bunch of balloons using a Spellbinders die set and arranged them to go over the edge of the card front before gluing down and adding some Bakers Twine strings and a double bow


From the bits of leftover inked card I punched out some small stars and die cut some squiggles.  I don't (apparently) have any 'streamer' type dies so I improvised with the loopy bits from a couple of sentiment die sets, also from Spellbinders
I also cut a few of these in glitter card to add some sparkle.  
On the inside back edge I adhered a strip of matt black card as I thought it looked better than leaving it white.  I cut the top layer of the 'celebrate' sentiment (also Spellbinders) in the same black card, and added a few black stars to tie the colours together. The other two layers of the sentiment are cut from white card.
The black card was some I scavenged from the little folder of 'coming soon' flyers we brought home from the Royal Shakespeare Company's Live-Stream showing of 'As You Like It' at our local cinema last week! 

So that's it for this time, I hope you like it!
Thank you for coming by (and leaving a message, I hope....)
Have a great weekend, see you soon

8 comments:

KarinsArtScrap said...

this is a cheerful and beautiful card Kathy

gr karin

Jackie T said...

Hi Kathy this is a stunning card I love it. Have great weekend. Take care. Hugs Jackie

Sylvia said...

Gorgeous celebration card, love the balloons with the contrast strip on the inside of the card.

Sylv xx

Shabneez said...

I actually prefer it when a plan changes and you're happy with the outcome! I do it all the time. A great celebratory card Kathy! Shabneez x

Holley (Tondre) Barnhart said...

so beautiful and bright. I love how it turned out

Katie said...

Gorgeous and fun card

Miri said...

Your card is so cheerful, Kathy! I love the result of your spontaneous crafting ;-)

Angelnorth said...

Really festive and happy looking Kathy, love your improvised streamers too!