Wednesday, April 24, 2019

Hunkydory Crafts Review pt 1

Hello!

I hope you had a lovely Easter.  We were so lucky with the weather this year, weren't we?
 I mentioned a week or so ago that I'd been asked if I'd like to have a play with some goodies from Hunkdory Crafts and review them here on my blog. I I wanted to choose a selection of things to try, and eventually settled on a die set, a paper set and some of the Adorable Scorable card I've been meaning to try for ages!  So I've been using them on various projects and over the next few weeks I'll share more of the things I've made.

This time I'm concentrating on the a fabulous set of butterfly dies:
Beautiful Butterflies, Moonstone dies by Hunkydory crafts

 Having made a few cards which I'll show next time, I thought it would be fun to try to make those butterflies fly, so I used my set of mini milk bottles to create this Butterfly Garden

I have to say that I really, really love this set of butterflies - you just can't have too many butterfly dies in your collection and this set is already a favourite.
 
Moonstone Dies by Hunkydory - Beautiful Butterflies

 Why am I so happy to have this set?

* I love that you get the plain wing shapes and a fancy set of wings for each butterfly 

* There are 4 different designs in the pack. 2 small and 2 larger butterflies - *  

* They are all perfectly sized for using on cards, scrapbook pages, journal pages....all sorts of projects.
Measurements (approx)
 5.5 x 5cms, 6 x 4cms, 4.3 x 3cms, 4 x 2.5cms
 
* They cut beautifully - even the tiny little detail pieces come out without much effort (this is a big bugbear of mine, dies that cut poorly are a pain in the proverbial!)

* They are thin metal dies so you can use them with most die cutting machines.  I used an eBosser, but also tried them with my ancient Cuttlebug and they worked great.

* The price for the set is a very reasonable £14.99, which I think is really good value!

Toi make the butterflies for this project I used paper from the
Spring Days & Country Life Inserts & Paper Pack £4.99 

I should have checked the size details more carefully, as the sheets are actually A4, which means the pictures on them are a bit too large for most of the cards I make.
Spring Days & Country Life Inserts & Paper Pack


In this pack you get papers intended for inserts which are single sided and a matt finish and also a set of double sided papers which have a slight gloss finish.  If I'm being completely honest (and there's no point in doing a review if you're not) I'm not keen on glossy paper, though lots of people love it, of course!
The designs are a delight and the colours are lovely.  I only wish they were smaller - those lambs, Easter Eggs and ducklings would have been perfect on my Easter cards, but the designs were just too big for my taste.  I will have to think of some other way to use them!
As well as the pictures though, there are lots of pretty, patterned designs which I really like - several have soft blue sky designs which will be very useful!
 
I really wanted to try and use the glossy papers, and they were just perfect for my wired butterflies, as the glossy finish catches the light as they move on the thin wires
 
So that's all for this time, I hope you've enjoyed seeing my Butterfly Garden.  There was a gorgeous flower set right next to the butterfly one on the Hunkdory Crafts website, and it took me ages to decide which to go for. Now I really want that one too - wouldn't it work brilliantly in the mini bottles in a similar way?
Moonstone Dies by Hunkydory - Fabulous Flowers

Anyway, that's it for today, thank you for coming by - please leave a message 
before you go - I would LOVE to hear what you think about this project

Happy Crafting

5 comments:

KarinsArtScrap said...

this is gorgeous and looks so happy Kathy beautiful made
Gr Karin

Jackie T said...

Hi Kathy I love what you have made it is beautiful. I can't wait to see what else you are going to make. Take care. Hugs Jackie

Angelnorth said...

Lovely project, the layer d butterflies look great on their wiggly wires! Nice to see you finding extra uses for the mini milk crate, too!

Shabneez said...

Fabulous 3D project Kathy - you've really brought those butterflies to life! Shabneez x

Holley (Tondre) Barnhart said...

oh wow, those are just precious. Great project