Friday, March 15, 2019

Sew Much Fun!

Hello

Another windy day and I'm bored with Gareth, Hannah and all their stormy cohorts now!
Also bored with having no fridge but fingers crossed the new one will be here tomorrow.  Although I'm hoping it won't be the first delivery of the day
as I don't fancy being woken at 7am.  Not on a Saturday!

We have my lovely friend Shabneex to thank for this week's challenge over at  the Daring Cardmakers 

 In Stitches
This week I'd like to see stitching of any sort on your cards - dust the cobwebs off those sewing machines, use a needle and thread, faux stitching is fine or how about adding some thread on your cards?  We can't wait to see your creations. You'll find some wonderful inspiration from the Design Team over on the blog

A few weeks back I made a mountain bike cutting template to use on OH's birthday card, my cousin is also a keen cyclist so I thought I'd use it again, but in a different way.
This time I scaled down the template to cut it in a much smaller size, and instead of using wire for the spokes. I used silver thread.
I needed to cut the bike out first using my Silhouette Cameo.
Next I inked the front of a piece of white Bazzill card, then turned it over to trace around the wheels of the bike.  I used the black base shape for this, flipping it round so that it would face the way I wanted it to on the front.
I made needle holes which would be hidden by the 'tyres', then strands of silver thread to sew in the spokes.  My thread is very fine and tangles easily, so I went over each spoke a few times and kept the thread 'tail' fairly short - which is why it looks such a horrible mess on the reverse.
My old 'A' level needlework teacher would be so shocked at how bad it looks (sorry Miss Clowes)
Once all the stitching was done I flipped the card over and hey presto! the spokes are revealed.
Once the rest of the bike was assembled it was glued in place over the spokes.
I computer generated the sentiment and printed it directly on to the card, then using a rectangular die cut an aperture and adhered the panel inside.
 I hand-cut some triangles for the banner and added some black and white Balers Twine, then added some tiny jewels to finish the card off


As ever there is a fab selection of ideas for this challenge over on the Daring Cardmakers blog this week, so I hope you'll head over to see them - and of course we'd really love you to join in!

That's all for now, thanks for visiting

Happy Crafting

 

8 comments:

KarinsArtScrap said...

fab and beautiful Kathy
Gr Karin

jane stillman said...

Brilliant card - great idea to stitch the spokes of the wheel

Jackie T said...

Hi Kathy this is a stunning card I just love how you have created the wheels. Have a great weekend. Take care. Hugs Jackie

Angelnorth said...

There must be something about silver thread - mine tangles really easily too! Makes for fab spokes though and I’m sure your old needlework teacher would forgive you since it’s on paper, not fabric which is more forgiving to work with!

AndreaH said...

Oh I so wish you did a video tutorial for this FAB card, I don't understand how/why you traced the wheels on the back of the card and traced through. How can you trace on the back of card to be able to see it on the front lol. I've obviously not read it correctly (I only read it like 12 times 😂). Can you try and explain it again please ? Xxx (but in a different way) xxx TFS xx

Shabneez said...

Really clever use of thread Kathy - I'd never have thought of it! Fab card design.
Shabneez x

Holley (Tondre) Barnhart said...

What an adorable bike card, v super cute

Dawn said...

Fabulous card and such a clever way to use the stitching on your card. xxx