Friday, August 31, 2018

All Aboard!

Hello
Another week without blogging between Fridays!  It's just not good enough, I shall give myself a stern 'talking to' and try to do better!
It's a lovely sunny morning here, in fact the last few days have been like this - I was beginning to feel the onset of the dreaded Winter Blues, but a couple of sunny days sends those thoughts away, even if you just can't avoid the speed that the nights are drawing in now 😞😞😢

 It's my turn to set the challenge on the Daring Cardmakers this week and I decided to set everyone off on a bit of a jaunt:
"Travelogue"  
This week I'd love to see your cards on a theme of travel.
You could feature transport, places, dream locations, suitcases....the world is your oyster!
Anything to do with travelling is good, so pack your bags and lets go! 
Here are some great ideas from our fab design team to get you in the mood
For my own card I thought I'd get as much stash out as possible, have some fun and make a mess, sorry, I mean a collage card!
Eventually it turned out like this
It started out as a 14cm sq card but it looked squashed so in the end I cut the front of the card off and matted it on to a larger navy blue card blank.
The pile of suitcases are made using one of my old Silhouette templates and I cut all the various pieces from some vintagey flower and wood effect paper from an old MME  paper pad.  Part of the background, and the TRAVEL letters are also cut from pages from the same pad.
There are some old 'real' postage stamps (never throw a postcard away without retrieving the stamp first!), a die cut Eiffel Tower and some tiny reproduction postcards.
Info:
I created an inky background using various Distress Inks, stencilled my favourite "Mini Spinning Tops"over it with a couple of different blue Versamagic inks then inked around the edge with brown and black for a distressed, vintage look.
I cut a corner detail from a page of the paper pad to adhere n the lower left corner, then used my Silhouette Cameo to cut the various pieces for the suitcases from more of the patterned paper.  I also cut a base layer for each suitcase to give stability, then laid them onto my card to work out roughly where I wanted to stick them.

Now I added the die cut Eiffel Tower and the two tiny postcards, then using some small pieces of chipboard to give dimension adhered the three cases in position.
As the chipboard pieces are smaller than the actual suitcase shapes, I was able to slide extra details such as the postage stamps and tiny luggage tad under their edges.  
To complete the card I used a square punch to cut out the letters (paper from the same pad), ink the edges and add dimensional foam pieces to the backs before fixing them in place.

Paper Pad: MME 'Record It' 6x6 
Stencil: "Mini Spinning Tops" (Crafters Workshop)
Eiffel Tower "Ooh La La" die set by Spellbinders
Mini Postcards from The Fruit Pixie
That's it.  There are some wonderful ideas on this week's BLOG, so I hope you'll head over to see them - and we would really love it if you'd join in with us too.
Thank you for coming by
Have a great weekend 

11 comments:

Sylvia said...

Wonderful collction of travel items in your collage card, love the vintage feel, Victorian "Grand Tour" comes to mind. Fabulous card!

Sylv xx

Katie said...

This is gorgeous

Laine said...

Such a lovely and detailed project!

KarinsArtScrap said...

fabulous card Kathy
Gr Karin

Kate M said...

My you have quite a collection in your stash - put to great use on this superb travel collage card - fabulous!!
xx

Maggie said...

great project and colours

Janet Packer said...

Lovely card and a fun challenge. .

Andree said...

A fabulous collaged card Kathy, lovely layering xx

Holley (Tondre) Barnhart said...

great travel theme card, love the papers you chose

Angelnorth said...

Lovely vintage collage style, love the stack of suitcases and the Eiffel Tower to anchor it!

Shabneez said...

Love this creation Kathy - brought back memories of Paris! Shabneez x