Friday, August 17, 2018

Strawberry Fayre

Hello

Welcome to the sick bay - don't come too close!  Yes I'm still hacking away and the tissue box is never far from my elbow, but I think things are gradually improving.  Poor old OH didn't stay far enough away from me though and has also been suffering.  Whatever this bug is, it's a real horror, it's really pole-axed us both.   Never mind eh, as I said, I think we're both on the mend now.
I've not really felt like doing much this week, and all my good intentions for my Daring Cardmakers card ended up in the bin, along with various attempts at making something halfway decent.  Which was a shame, because its a fun challenge, set by our lovely Joanne and it has a bit of an extra twist, should you be big enough to accept it!
It's Joanne here this week and I'd like to know "What's cooking?" - it's a challenge with options! You could choose to use an item from your kitchen to help you make your project (think cling film backgrounds, spices in a shaker card, paint with coffee, stamp on a teabag, use cupcake cases to make a flower etc). Or if you don’t fancy raiding the kitchen you could feature an image of food. Extra brownie points if you manage to do both!
I had a couple of ideas to try, one being to finally give Dawn's method of making a shaker card a try, using sugar strands in the shaker.  I made a cupcake using a real cupcake case.....and that was as far as I got with that plan, it just looked a right dog's dinner!  Then I tied using it in a different way and it looked worse.  So I went and had some lunch!
In the end, I turned back to a favourite Spellbinders die set and a favourite way of using it to make a 3D element.  I added a little bit of red food colouring to the ink I used to colour the card base.  I admit it was a very little amount as I didn't want to have to start all over again!
Info
Card blank inked to make the inner area paler than the outer edge
I cut a circle aperture in the upper card layer, then embossed it with a woodgrain folder from SU.  I added colour to the embossing by just swiping a few different shades of ink over it. It was then adhered in place using some pieces of chipboard between that and the base card.
Strawberries, flowers and leaves created using dies from Aren't You Sweet  by Debi Adams from the Market Fresh collection 
Aren't You Sweet 
 To finish I added some tiny yellow gems to the flowers and tied some Baker's Twine around the top, adding a triple bow to complete

I don't actually like strawberries, but my OH does, so we have a couple of plants in the greenhouse, here's a photo from earlier in the summer with a few ready for picking

For some great ideas and inspiration from the team click HERE and see if you can spot the kitchen items in use! A visit to the various personal blogs will clear up any mysteries!
Thank you for taking the time to visit
Happy crafting

11 comments:

KarinsArtScrap said...

this is very beautiful Kathy

Janet Packer said...

Beautiful card Kathy.

Jackie T said...

Hi Kathy this is a stunning card. I love it. Have a great weekend. Take care. Hugs Jackie

Kate M said...

So sorry you are still not well, but wish you a really speedy rtecover and your OH as well!! xx

Sylvia said...

Gorgeous strawberries and cream card. Love the wood embossed card and pretty pink colouring all set off beautifully with the baker's twine. Hope you are feeling much better soon.

Sylv xx

Dawn said...

Gorgeous, the 3d strawberries look amazing and the embossing folder looks great. Hope you feel better soon. x

Angelnorth said...

You got your hands on that folder quickly! Looks great here with your 3D strawberries! A bit of food colouring goes a long ah, doesn’t it? Hope you (both) feel better as the weekend goes on.

Holley (Tondre) Barnhart said...

That project is just TOO cute, hope you are feeling better already

Laine said...

So bright and beautiful. Feel better soon!
Laine
x

Lorre-Anne Archibald said...

Lovely card Kathy, hope you're feeling much better x

Jan said...

This is gorgeous. Hope your soon feeling great xx Jan