Friday, May 08, 2009

Mum's the Word

Mother's Day in the UK is always in March, but in other parts of the world it is celebrated later in the year. In NZ Mother's Day is this Sunday, and as Tanya, one of our NZ Team Members is setting the dare, she's chosen "Mum" as the theme:

Hi, it's Tanya Leigh here and I am back after a long break from the Daring Cardmakers. The break was needed for different reasons but I am now back and have had fun getting back into making cards.

This week it's my first time to set the dare since being back - it's Mother's Day here in New Zealand on Sunday 10th May (not sure about other parts of the world), so this week's dare is to make a card with the word MUM on it somewhere.
It could be Mother's Day, birthday etc.


Fortunately for me, I have an order for two "Mum's 65'th Birthday" cards - the first one was at the start of the month (I used the Bog Blooms dare to make that one) the next is at the end of May, so very convenient for this one - especially as I don't have a mum of my own to make things for anymore.
My customre has ordered cards for her mum and mil before, so I know that they are both of the modern, youthful granny mouldm so bright and funky goes down well.
It seemed like the perfect excuse to get out those gorgeous MME "Bloom and Grow" papers again
I used one of my own old sketches for this one, you can see it HERE - it was the one I made for Jo's "Get Someone Else to Make It" dare from a couple of months back.
There's yet another "hidden" component - as in Jozza's dare of a couple of weeks ago - other people combine dares so why shouldn't I eh? lol

Lift the ribbon loop and the flower reveals the rest of the message!
I've used "Mam" instead of "Mum" for both the 65th birthday cards as they are for Northumbrian Mums - one of the great things about a handmade card is that you can have the "right" word for the recipient, isn't it?

The top three flowers on the lift up flap and the green ribbon are from the fab May flower kit from Creative Treasures

Papers: MME Bloom and Grow
All wording is Robo cut
Anita's tiny gems

There are some lovely cards on the Daring Cardmakers blog this week - nothing new there, I suppose - but with such an "open" theme there's a great variety of styles and techniques which we hope will inspire everyone to get crafting. We do love to see all the cards that are made so if you make one, please leave a message on the blog so we can come visit!

Here's another card using the Creative Treasures May flower kit - I absolutely adore the colours of this kit they are just so darn pretty! To prove my point - and just in case you missed seeing them the first time I posted the pic:

I've used my newest addition (sketch #10) to the Sketch File for this card - the one on the sketch blog has a masculine theme so this time I've made it more girly.

The flowers work so well with quite a few paper collections, this time I've used the beautiful Fleuriste set from Cosmo Cricket. Both the ribbons on this card come in the kit too. A couple of the flower centres are brads, the others are just fake chippie covered with papers from the Fleuriste set, cut with the Cuttlebug then given a layer of Glossy Accents.
Lettering is cut on the Robo.

That's all for today,, but just before I sign off - do take a look at the thread directly below as there's info about winning the little book I'm showing on there.
Thanks for visiting today, I hope you'll come back soon

16 comments:

Hazel said...

Gorgeous cards, Kathy - I love the way you've hidden the message under the flowers (might crib that idea if you don't mind?). And you're right, those flowers are beautiful - such gorgeous colours x

Anonymous said...

Kathy they're stunning!! So bright and funky! :)

Vanessa

Gez Butterworth said...

Beautiful cards Kathy. I love the hidden message. The flowers look gorgeous too. I had an idea for your new sketch the other night & never wrote it down! doh! Have a lovely weekend. Gez.xx

Karen said...

Awe they are all wonderful Kathy! I love those flowers X

Lythan said...

You do know how to use a flower Kathy - just fabulous cards!

Sharon (glitterangel) said...

Beautiful cards, what lovely colours and papers, fab!

Angelnorth said...

Fab cards as ever! Love the funky 65th and you're quite right, trying buying a card that says "Mam" in Clinton Cards, eh? The feminine take on the sketch looks lovely, too!

CLARE said...

Another fan of the hidden message here - and I'm a sucker for flowers/blooms - lovely cards as usual

Karen said...

Stunning, love the bright colours.

Love Karen xxx

Powerful Search Engine said...

Wow these cards are great Kathy. I love the reveal on the side great idea, hugs pascale

Jozza said...

Both cards are just beautiful Kathy. I love the way you used the flowers to hide the age. I just can't get enough of those MME bloom & grow papers - the colours are just so yum!

Janice said...

Lovely cards Kathy, those blooms are great, off to have a look.

CraftyC said...

These are all gorgeous Kathy, lovely bright colours!
Clairex

Keryn Campbell said...

Gorgeous cards Kathy. I love the idea of the hidden age. Perfect for when you want to acknowledge it but it doesn't need to be on show on the mantlepiece.

Creative Treasures said...

Gorgeous cards Kathy, i also love the idea of the hidden age.

Tracy
x

Cardmaking Galore said...

Both cards are so beautiful - the first one is just a burst of fresh bright colours!