Friday, February 09, 2007

Read All About It! Read All About It!

So, Friday has arrived again and it's time for the new Daring Cardmakers' challenge to be dragged kicking and screaming into the spotlight and the Headlines. This week it's all about the media - love it or hate it, you can't get away from TV, Radio, Magazines and Newspapers. Public Relations and Publicity, Advertising Hoardings, Junk Mail and even the Small Ads in your local free newspaper it's all around us and hard to avoid. So that's the basis of Gillian's Dare:
" Maybe you have been inspired by an Ad in a magazine, the colours or design that has been used. Or incorporate actual magazines & newspapers onto your card; maybe chop up letters (ransom note style) to create the sentiment So grab that latest edition of your favourite Mag, or pick up your newspaper, because there is so much inspiration there, Just waiting for you to discover! "

The DCM blog has all the fantastic, inspirational cards from the team on show, so don't forget to check them out and to visit the individual blogs for more information about each one. We 're hoping you'll have loads more ideas on how to use this theme for your own cards and we're looking forward to seeing how everyone rises to this challenge!
This is my card for this week. "It's SALE Time"

Well, this week my first two ideas ended up in the bin! So this is number three and I think if I'd had a bit more time I'd have refined this one, maybe kept to a tighter colour scheme. I started by cutting out loads of "sale" type words from the local rag and some other junk advertising stuff, then I arranged all the little pieces on to a plain sheet of paper which I scanned and printed onto vellum. Actually, the first print went straight onto card but it didn't look right so I tried the vellum. This was stuck to the card in the middle with double-sided tape and at the corners with blads. I added a piece of plain white card across the centre, plus some narrow lengths with computer generated "Sale" labels, then inked with red and stuck above and below the plain card.

The bags are a mixture of QK and Bosskutz ones and I used several different types of card and paper to make them. As I said, I'm not happy with the colours - the reds of the scanned ads came out quite orangey, which is why I chose the patterend papers I used for some of the bags - but with hindsight, I don't think I really needed to do this. If I made this card again, I'd stick to a red and white colour scheme for the bags, and probably just have palin bags with the "SALE" word on in various styles.

The "Shop Till You Drop" words are meant to look like garment sales tags.

16 comments:

Gillian said...

Kathy, I love it... It's fun & funky... and really makes me smile... Great take on the dare..
and those little baggies are way tooooooo cute!!!!!

Lythan said...

I like it with all the different colours Kathy. That is what a big pile of bags looks like - unless you only buy from one shop. (that would be primark in my case!) Love the idea of the scanned print on vellum

Michelle said...

WOW! A lot of work and a lot of colors! I saw a couple of other entries on blogs... It is so cool! Yours is interpreted completely differently! LOVE THIS ONE
Mich

Candy said...

Very Funky, loads of work and colour gone into that one!!
Thank You
Candy

*Beatriz Jennings* said...

oooh! how cute is this! love it!!

Bety

Paula J Atkinson said...

wish I could shop to take my mind of this cold. As if that wasn't enough we had a power cut last night & my timer switches for my lights are all broken!!!!!
GGrrrr! when will this end I ask!!!

Tracey said...

Great card Kathy - I love it!

Unknown said...

Love your work Kathy - have added you to my faves so I'll definately be back soon.....! ;)

Em said...

Love it!

You always manage to think of something different Kathy - well done you!

(and well done for using your SA kit papers - bonus points!)

xxx

Keryn Campbell said...

I loved this card from the first moment I saw it. So bright and cheerful given the nasty weather you've been having.

Jane said...

gorgeous ! lovely colours

Sheila said...

Fabulous Kathy....a real smiley sort of card...I love it.

Rhi said...

I love all the bright colours you've used, I think its ace just the way it is :)

Anonymous said...

Kathy this card is unreal I just love it, what a fabulous idea.

Rachel said...

fantastic cards Mrs B, I love it, very clever idea xxx

Oblibby said...

I love this card so so much Kathy. One of the best bits of advice I've ever had was you telling my to get the QK gift bag when I first started with dies.

xoxo

p.s. did I say how much I love the card :D:D