Friday, August 30, 2019

The Resistance



Hello

I hope this Friday finds you well,It's been pretty hot and sunny here this week, which is lovely - but I've not enjoyed the horrendous hayfever symptoms that have dogged me all week!

We're looking for a bit of resistance over on  the Daring Cardmakers this time!
It sent me looking for the Muse album "The Resistance" on my phone to play while I made the card - only to find that I've not put my music onto my new phone since getting it back in May!  ooops!

Nat says:
This week I'm challenging you to embrace one of my favourite techniques of the moment: the resist technique.

You can accomplish it in a variety of ways using:
Heat embossing to resist ink, watercolour or other media,m Masking paper or  masking tape, Resist spray on its own or in combination with stencils, Masking fluid or a masking pen with watercolour, Wax crayons.....
I'm sure there are other methods you'll think of! :)
Click HERE to see what the team made this week 
 For my card I decided to use my hot foil machine and try a technique I've seen other people use but not tried myself. It involves using inks over the top of a foiled image - the foil resists the ink as you can see

Info
The first step was to do the foiling - I used silver foil and a Spellbinders Glimmer Hot Foil plate for this.
Next I chose several Versamagic ink pads in blue and aqua shades, and applied them using small scraps of old wet wipe.  I'm not confident with free-hand inking etc, so rolled up pieces of the cloth made it easier for me to get the look I wanted
While the main section was drying off, I inked up a longer length of card with stripes in the same way as before, plus inked a few scraps of card to cut the little circles from.
The main piece was matted onto silver card, then onto a dark blue card base. A narrow strip was cut from the extra striped piece and also matted onto silver.
I added a couple of strands of Baker's Twine and some faux brads
The 'to you' piece is trimmed from a longer loopy sentiment die, and the tiny circles are the berries from a Holly die set 

We'd love to have you join in with us this week, just click on the Daring Cardmakers link to find out more

Thanks for looking in today, please leave a comment to tell me what you think!

Happy Crafting!


6 comments:

Holley (Tondre) Barnhart said...

What a great color combo and beautiful color background

Angelnorth said...

Made me think "aurora borealis" for some reason! It turned out beautifully Kathy, love it!

Jackie T said...

Hi Kathy this is a stunning card. I love the design. Have a great weekend. Take care. Hugs Jackie

KarinsArtScrap said...

great background and a beautiful card Kathy
Gr Karin

Jan said...

This is great Kathy xx Jan

Handmade by Natty said...

The results are gorgeous with this technique. Well done to you for embracing yet another of the challenges I know aren't your favourite. ;)
Fab card! x