Friday, November 29, 2013

It's Not Terry's, It's Mine

....Remember Dawn French's TV ad for Terry's All Gold chocolates?  Or was it just the chocolate orange?  Never mind, I'm pinching it anyway for this week's "Going For Gold" challenge from the Daring Cardmakers

Leo says:
I'd like you to use just metallic gold and white to create your card. Think of all the different gold materials you could use, gold paint, gold ink, gold glitter, gold leaf, anything you can think of, so long as it's gold!'s 

This all makes for quite a glitzy, shiny, bling-filled blog today - check it out HERE

We're thrilled to welcome one of our "old" teamies; Lynne, back as Guest Designer for a few weeks, it's going to be fab to have her around again - she does make exceedingly good cards.... (oh jeepers, there I go again)

Anyway, here's my card

Amazingly, the card turned out pretty much as the idea I had in my head - and that's probably a first!

Especially as it involved a quite a bit of experimentation.

The dotty "stripe"
I used a scrap of card with the Memory Box  Border die to use as a stencil.  I taped it onto my card blank with low-tack tape, - I didn't want straight, neat lines so I made sure to make the taping a bit haphazard.
I applied a strong glue over the top with my finger, then  poured a thick layer of Gold Flower Soft (I really don't get on with this stuff!) over the top making sure to push it down well so that it went into the holes.  After tipping the excess gold stuff off I quickly removed the tape and stencil.
It would have been a much better idea to use some thin plastic to make the stencil, but obviously I didn't think of that until I realised that the card one might be too stuck on to remove.....

For the chevron panel I embossed a separate piece of card, then swiped a versamark pad over the top, and heat-embossed with gold embossing powder.  I cut a few lines out just using scissors and glued this panel to my card.

The centre piece is just a piece of 2cm wide lurex ribbon

The snowflake is just a "pile" of different snowflake die-cuts (all-right, I admit it, it's the same as I did last week, but all those snowflakes are just irresistible!), in plain white card and gold glitter card.
There a re a few extra tiny snowflakes, some blobs of glitter glue, a few glitter glue-topped pearls and a Robo-cut "noel"

Materials and Tools
Embossalicious Chevrons 6x6 folder from Crafters Companion
Detail Gold embossing powder (Stampendos)Versamark Ink pad
 Contempo Border die (Memory Box)
Gold Flower Soft, Gold Lurex ribbon
Snowflake dies: Crystal Snowflake, Lindeman Snowflake, Precious Snowflakes (Memory Box)
 Giovanna Snowflake (PoppyStamps), Small snowflakes 4x4 die (Cheery Lynn)
Gold pearls, Gold Ice Stickles
Gold card for sentiment, cut using Craft Robo


It was fun making this - even though it meant dragging out some of my least-loved stash and tools.  I think maybe it was because for this project I wasn't looking for perfect lines and a blemish-free result, so the stray specks of embossing powder and the "faded-out" bits were actually to be encouraged, rather than the more usual; "darn it I'll have to start again"

So that's it for this time. I hope you like it and I hope you'll be joining in with us over at the Daring Cardmakers this week
Thanks for visiting - a message would be just lovely ;)

5 comments:

Kaz said...

This is so pretty Kathy, you're doing brilliantly with these new folders and dies xxx

Angelnorth said...

A gold and white combo is geared to an elegant look and this is perfect - just the right amount of edginess with the elegance!

Karen said...

This is BEAUTIFUL!!!! Well done on using a stencil, such a pretty addition Kathy xxx

Traceyr said...

oo very bling Misses I love it. :)

Unknown said...

Thank you for the warm welcome back Kathy - but less of the 'OLD' :P
I LOVE your card, its beautiful.