Friday, April 02, 2010

Lucy in the Sky?

Today is Friday, AKA Daring Cardmakers day so a lovely new dare to play with - actually some of us didn't think it was so lovely - we found it rather taxing on the little grey cells, to be honest!

We also have a couple of pieces of exciting news to share.  
A new Guest Designer:
We're thrilled to have Cinnamon Sally with us as Guest Designer this month, her work is always beautiful and you can see the first of her DCM cards this week - we're sure that you'll love them as much as we do.
 A new full-time Teamie:
We're also chuffed to bits that Natty is going to be a permanent member of the Design Team
 from now on, we just couldn't bear not seeing her inspiring work on our BLOG after her GD spot was over! 
WooHoo all round!

Well, the first dare of the month throughout 2010 is given over to that month's birthstone. 
 The birthstone for April is the Diamond so this week we're making cards which relate in some way to diamonds
Sounds easy enough., doesn't it? Well, I wasn't the only one who spent most of the week wondering if I'd get a card done in time. hehehe
I got this one done yesterday afternoon after I decided that I'd just have to start something and hope for the best.
I must have spent hours looking for a good quotation to use as a theme but nothing seemed to jump out at me.  In the end I've gone for a 60th wedding anniversary card - so if you know anyone celebrating their 60th, just give me a shout as I've a card going spare!
I really fancied doing a black/white/silver colour scheme but thought lilac shades might be more appropriate, I quite like the final result.
There are lots of layers and lots of shimmer on this one which the camera doesn't pick up very well.
I embossed the background paper (which is very slightly shimmery) with the Cuttlebug Swiss Dots folder, then cut it in half to use at the top and bottom (wouldn't it be nice if the folders were a bit bigger). The central panel has layers of pearlised metallic card, pearlised lilac paper and a shimmery paper with a dot pattern in it.
I cut "diamond" on the Robo in two layers, one card and one the lilac pearlised paper.

It's probably getting boring to see yet more coiled flowers, they do come into play rather a lot at the moment!  I've also used a Prima daisy in this group - I folded it up, cut across the point in the middle, opened it out again and then between two of the petals I cut into the middle so that I could wrap it around the pretty ribbon and lace flower I found when I was sorting my box of wired flowers the other day.  I also found the crystal bead string things I've used in the corner.
The sentiment was computer generated, and to finish I've added a few "diamonds" in different sizes to the big letters, the corner of the card and the greeting piece.
Must admit there was a big "PHEW!" when I'd finished it!

I've been playing with flowers quite a bit lately as I'm working with the new "Parma Violets" kit from Creative Treasures.   I made a birthday card for DCM Lynda using some of the kit but decided that whilst I liked some elements of what I'd done, I hated the way it all looked together. So I made her a new one - the one I put on here earlier in the week, then set about dismantling the first effort and trying to make something I liked better.
The coiled roses, pearl brad and leaf are from my stash, all the other flower elements, ribbons and pretty leaf charm are from the "Parma Violets" kit.  The kit is stuffed with gorgeous blooms and wired flowers of different types, which look fab either on their own or used to "build" a larger, layered flower - those wired stems make it very easy to do! 
The blue flower with the pink beady centre was made in the same way as for my DCM card mentioned above, but this time I used some wire and glass beads to make the centrepiece to wind the paper flower around.
I made some gathering stitches part-way along a length of the satin ribbon and pulled them up to make the ruched section - it was fiddly just doing a little bit - easier I think to have a whole length of ribbon gathered up, but to be awkward I only wanted a little ruched section at the end!
I made another card with the stuff I pulled off the original and I'll put that on here another day!

Apart from this beautiful kit, Tracy (Creative Treasures) has some rather lovely new lace and lots of different flowers in stock at the moment - very tempting they were.  So tempting that I couldn't resist buying this little lot!
Right, I've got to go and help do some painting now (oh joy!). I'll be back later for a catch up around the blogs - I'll probably be needing a sit down by then!

14 comments:

Lynda said...

Love how your mind works Kathy - you always come up with something spot on for the Dare. Love the Diamond Wedding idea. Fab card as always and I will never get fed up of those gorgeous flowers. Love the reassembled card too - bet you was a florist in a previous life lol. How did I miss the post with my beautiful birthday card on too -those flowers are just amazing and the colours are fabulous. Thank you so much and I'm glad one of us was able to get it on a blog!!

Love Lynda xxx

Janice said...

I love your diamond card, my sister's birthday is in April, so I think this may be a good starter for me to make her a diamond card. The other one with the flowers is lovely too.

Caroline said...

Gorgeous cards Kathy - as always :o) ...x

Hazel said...

That's a real diamond of a card - I agree about the cuttlebug folders - wish they were bigger - like how you've split the dotted embossed cards x

Kaz said...

Both are gorgeous cards Kathy and I'm never sick of seeing those flowers. I know what you mean though about using the same thing a lot - I do it too xx

Lythan said...

these cards are just so beautiful and I could never tire of your coiled ones!

Karen said...

Totall gorgeous cards Kathy and I love that black lace...I have some of that too!!!

Sorry you were disapointed with my drawers hahahaha But I promise to show you my lace & ribbon drawers next time ;)

XXX

Angelnorth said...

Well done with the diamond stuff - not sure I'd have got pas the "girl's best friend" thing and that would probably have brought me to a grinding halt given how girly I tend to be! Love your partially ruched ribbon on the second one - lovely touch!

Rika said...

Beautiful cards Kathy!

tracy said...

those cards are stunning kathy-as always :)

CinnamonSally said...

Both cards are lovely, simply stunning. I love using lots of flowers and love yours.

Allison said...

two beautiful card kathy
Hope you had a good Easter
AllisonX

Traceyr said...

Loving your diamond card. What tip do you use on your robo to cut paper - mine just chews the paper up! haha

Loving the scrunched flowers don't stop and thanks for answering the question of the ruched ribbon I love that effect and will try it!

:)

Anonymous said...

Hi Kathy, your cards are so elegant and beautiful. The 60th card was so classy.

I really like you're blog, great work. :)