Friday, February 05, 2021

Another Butterfly!

 


Hello, Happy Friday!

I hope you've had a good week, even though we're all staying in our homes and trying to keep Covid at bay.  Its shocking how virulent it is, so definitely worth taking extra care.  
After the news of the loss of the inspirational Capt. Tom we ventured out of our front door on Wednesday evening to applaud and give thanks for the way he brought the nation together last year.  What a hero.
It was also so lovely to see and exchange a few words with all our neighbours for the first time since before Christmas.  Hopefully we'll be allowed to resume our socially distanced Sunday chats before too long.
 
February Elemental Inspiration
It's Joanne here this week and as it's the first Friday of the month we have an elemental challenge for you.

 Choose at least three elements (colour scheme counts as one element) from the picture to kick start your project.

 Ideas might include violets, ferns, amethyst, twine, ribbon, pins, pen nibs, lace, books, book text, Edwardian lady or gent, garden tools, hats, shells, script sentiment.
 
 
I chose the Twine, Lace, Ribbon and the Gold of the pen nibs, then added in some of the mauve shades for good measure!


Info
Smooth white card blank
I used washi tape to mask the borders, then painted with watered down Lilac-Lavendar Nuvo Embellishment Mousse using a large brush, and keeping as much variation in colour and thickness as I could manage. 
Once that was dry I mixed a tiny scrap of Old Navy and the same Lilac Nuvo mousse together to get a shadowy colour and added this through
my favourite stencil over parts of the base colour.
Next I used the same stencil with Gold Glacier paste, then to
 finish the background I stencilled in a few areas with PVA glue (clean the stencil quickly if you try this!) and added some bright gold gilding flakes over the glue.  Once it was completely dry I brushed off any excess to leave a few gilded pattens and little touches of shiny gold

The top layer of the butterfly is a Memory Box die, which I cut from some inked card. For the lower layer I made a template using the die, then cut it out in textured gold card. I adhered lengths of lace and some grosgrain ribbon to the card and positioned the butterfly on top. The small Black and white sentiment is from a set was created on the pc and printed out. I made a triple bow using twine and glued it to the the sentiment, adding a couple of gems for some bling.
To finish I added more gems, plus a few tiny circles cut from scraps of the textured gold card and scattered over the background

 
Thank you so much for visiting today, I hope you'll leave a comment, I really appreciate it when people take the time to leave a message!

Happy Crafting, and please Stay Safe


6 comments:

KarinsArtScrap said...

so very beautiful Kathy

gr karin

jane stillman said...

This is so gorgeous Kathy - love the elements you chose Unfortunately I didn't see or talk to my neighbours before lockdown, so now is no different. It's so alien to me because wherever I've lived, I've had fabulous neighbours. Never mind - just as well I have FB. Take care xx

Jackie T said...

Hi Kathy this is a gorgeous card. It is fabulous. It is very sad about Captain Tom he was a real hero. Have a good weekend. Take care. Hugs Jackie

jane stillman said...

A fabulous card Kathy - love it - stay safe and take care xx

Angelnorth said...

Really pretty take in the elements Kathy, love the touches of bright gold!

Holley (Tondre) Barnhart said...

Wow so gorgeous, I love the layers