Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Patterns in the Sand

Hello
Well. the clocks have gone back and we've had a couple of frosty mornings already this week, so I guess we're dipping our toes into Winter!  I don't like it!  The only good thing about Winter is that I can dry/warm my socks on the heated towel rails!
As I've been such a bad blogger in recent months, I thought I do some catching up and try to blog some things I've not shared on here yet.  

Back at the start of Summer we went up to Northumberland for a few days staying with family in my home village.  I do count myself very lucky to have grown up at the seaside!

My village's heritage is one of fishing and mining.  Now the mines are gone and there are only a few fishing boats (cobles) left.  Mining in particular left its mark on the beach, and you can still see the coal dross washed up on the sands.  The movement of the sand, sea and tiny fragments of the coal dross makes the most amazing patterns.  I was mesmerised bu them and couldn't resist taking some photos.  It was one of these photos I used to make a background panel for my card

I cropped and resized the photo then printed it onto textured white Bazzill card, then matted it onto dark blue.  I used another of my photos for the main image.
The sentiment panel was made from several Spellbinders dies and to complete the card I covered a little wooden anchor from Bubbly Funk with black Enamel Accents and glued it in the corner, adding a gold twine knot. 
You'd never know that was sand pattern, would you? It was a beautiful sunny late afternoon when we dumped our bags after the long drive and headed across the road for a walk along the prom,  OH even took his shoes off and had a paddle (or a 'plodge' in Northumbrian!) along waters' edge.  I didn't! Because I grew up thinking that running up and down the prom to get the circulation going was part of the deal after a dip in the sea - I didn't know the sea could be warm till I went on my first Greek holiday!
 Ah well, this short post turned into more of an essay, didn't it!
So please excuse the rambling!  I'll shut up now......

Thank you so much for dropping by, have a great day

 

6 comments:

Sylvia said...

Wonderful photos especially the one used for the background. It's years since I used photos on my cards. May have to find some of mine or Peter's arty photos and have a go!

Sylv xx

jane stillman said...

The background panel is amazing, and it's interesting hearing your story of how life used to be where you grew up

Katie said...

Gorgeous card. I miss summer already

Jackie T said...

Hi Kathy this is a stunning card I just love. Yes winter is on its way. Take care. Hugs Jackie

Unknown said...

Stunning card Kathy, your photos are so wonderful. I love this time of year but do miss the hot summer days we had this year. Cathy x

Holley (Tondre) Barnhart said...

Great use of the photos beautiful