Saturday, July 01, 2017

Kaleidoscope - Spellblogging for Spellbinders



Hello there!
Thank you for joining me for another Weekend Spellblogging post for Spellbinders
This week I've used something that caught my eye in the Spellbinders store a few weeks ago - it's quite different from the usual dies I go for but at the time I had a great idea for using it.  Obviously by the time I got it in my sticky little hands I'd completely forgotten what that idea was! 

This is a single die called Geo Steps Kaleidoscope by Lene Lok (Shapeabilities  Etched Dies)
I love mosaics and am always enchanted by those wonderful mosaic floors in Roman villas I've seen both in the UK and other parts of Europe.  I was always fascinated by kaleidoscopes too (still am, truth to be told!), I loved watching all those teeny pieces arranging themselves into colourful patterns.  Maybe that's what drew me to this die.

Geo Steps Kaleidoscope
This wonderful corner mosaic is streamlined and modern, with its simple geometric shapes.  I think it will be great used as a pocket, as extra dimension over a pretty paper, or used as a stencil, using the die itself or the the die-cut - I've not tried this yet but I will!


Info
I used a smooth white card blank and extra of the same card for die cutting
I adhered the die cut triangle onto the card base.  I'm too lazy to colour all the little shapes that come out of the panel, plus, some are very tiny. Instead I inked up a few pieces of the same card with the various colours I wanted to use, laid them over the die and cut again, repeating a couple of times more until I had enough of each colour and shape.
Next it was just a case of arranging them all into the holes - I just used wet glue to stick them in, but it would probably have been quicker to use a Xyron type gadget or something along those lines.
It was a pleasing way to spend some time, arranging all those little shapes but I tried to be fairly random about what went where.
To finish, I inked some more card with some of the inks.  I cut the phrase using some word dies from various sets (I keep a rather random collection of word and phrase dies all in one folder).  I taped them kind of
diagonally onto the inked card so that the colours blend and fuse nicely across the words 



Don't Miss Out!
 Now, just before I close up, I must remind you about the Market Fresh Blog Hop.  There's only a couple of days left to enter and all you have to do is visit and comment on 5 blogs; Dawn, Sharon, Enfys, mine and the Spellbinders home blog - all the info you need can be found HERE, along with links to follow to the other blogs.
You can also see more of my project, this Strawberry Gateau!
 
Market Fresh Blog Hop


That's all for today, so thanks for visiting, if you click on This Link  you'll find yourself at the Spellbinders store and explore the huge array of dies, stamps, machines and so much more!


Happy Crafting

 

13 comments:

Paper and Stuff said...

I love geometric shapes and I'm laughing at your genius idea for cutting and sticking over. Fabulous! x

KarinsArtScrap said...

it's a very beautiful card Kathy


gr karin

Shabneez said...

A work of geometric art Kathy. Don't know that I would have had the patience myself but it looks perfect! Love the colour tones you've used as well. Shabneez x

Lorre-Anne Archibald said...

Love this card Kathy, think I might need to buy this die myself x

Jackie T said...

Hi Kathy this is a stunning card that die is amazing. Take care. Hugs Jackie

Laine said...

Such fabulous colour and detail. Love it!
Laine
xx

Janet Packer said...

A lovely card and a great new die. X

Brawny x said...

Fabulous design. Great colours x

Katie said...

Stunning card and love the mosaic patterns

Andree said...

A wonderful card Kathy. The die-cut and colours are gorgeous. Who doesn't love a kaleidoscope? xx

Karenzkardz said...

Very eye catching and fab colour combo xx

Unknown said...

This is a real stunner Kathy. The die is just fabulous. Cathy x

Angelnorth said...

A lovely die and the colour combo you've used is right up my street - beautiful!