Friday, March 24, 2017

Air-time

Hello there
How are you?  I'm gradually getting over the horrid cold OH kindly shared with me, it's so lovely to share, isn't it?
We've had 'proper' Spring weather this week, with days of beautiful blue skies and sunshine and days of torrential rain and sometimes both within the space of half an hour.  Only the foolish look out at the bright blue sky and go out to buy their lunch-time sandwich without taking a coat or umbrella 😉

I've not really felt up to much this week, so my blog output has been poorer than usual.  I do have a few things to share now though, so will try to catch up.

Today I've my card for the Daring Cardmakers and also a gift tag made using the March LO from The Sketch File.
First, today's Daring Cardmakers' challenge:

It's Svenja here and this week the sky's the limit - my theme for you is
* * * * Up in the Air * * * *
I'm asking you to make a sky- or flight-related card.

Feeling "blue" at the idea? Just check out the BLOG to seet the creations the design team have come up with to get you started - and see how colourful they are!

Loads of things ran through my mind for this, kites, balloons, aeroplanes, butterflies, birds and bees to name just a few, but also a few songs with sky or air related lyrics.  The one that stuck in my head was an old song from The Hollies, and its those lyrics I decided to feature on my card.  What I didn't know till I checked the song on the internet was that it's actually a Lennon/McCartney song.

Info
I started with a couple of lines from the song, which I arranged and resized using Paint Shop Pro before printing onto a strip of Bazzill Diamond White card.
This panel was matted onto red card.
I embossed a piece of the same white card with Décor Circles A4 embossing folder (Teresa Collins), and matted this piece Black card before adding to the smooth white card blank
Next the lyric panel was adhered in place 
For the heart balloons I inked some smooth white card using several shades of Distress Ink to get good depth and slight variations of colour.
I stencilled over this with my current favourite Mini Window Screen stencil (Crafters Workshop) using gold Alchemy Wax and Red Sparkle Medium  (both Imagination Crafts)
Once dried I selected a couple of areas to cut out with heart dies
 (DieNamics Nested Hearts).  
The ends of the balloons were just cut from scraps and glued in place
The bows and strings are black twine.  The loopy string happened by accident as I'd just used the two ends tucked under the balloons and the twine between just formed iteslef into a lovely loopy pattern!  So I just added a spot of glue to ensure they stayed put.




Next up is a little gift bag made to hold my niece's birthday gift.  I made a tag for it using the March LO from The Sketch File.
Rather than make handles for this gift bag I just punched holes and added extra wide satin ribbon to tie in a bow.  
The papers are all MME "Hooray" and I've used both 12x12 and 6x6 for this project.
I have a tutorial for the gift bag HERE
once you have made one or two its easy to alter to make them to match what you want to put inside!
Here is the sketch I used to make the tag
March 2017 - The Sketch File


That's all for this time, I hope you'll take a minute to visit both the Daring Cardmakers blog and The Sketch File  it would be great if you could join in with us all this time
Thank you so much for checking in, I hope you'll be able to leave a comment. 
 

13 comments:

Jackie T said...

Hi Kathy your card and gift bag are gorgeous. I do hope you feel a lot better soon. Take care. Hugs Jackie

Shabneez said...

Glad to hear you're recovering Kathy. Two beautiful projects. Love the technique for the hearts on the card and the layers on the tag. Sending get well wishes, Shabneez x

KarinsArtScrap said...

these cards are beautiful Kathy

gr karin

Andree said...

A gorgeous card Kathy and a fabulous gift bag. Lovely hearts on the card and super layering on the gift tag. Glad you're feeling on the mend xx

Karenzkardz said...

Love them and especially the design of the heart card. Fab x

Lorre-Anne Archibald said...

Beautiful creations x

Karen said...

I adore this card Kathy...it has a lovely fresh look to it as well as words from my favourite song on it! Hugs xxx

Svenja said...

Lovely card, Kathy! Black, white and red always make such a good combo and I love all the structure and depth on those balloons. (And I really need to find that stencil for myself.)

Jan said...

This is just great xx Jan

Unknown said...

So glad you are better Kathy. Your projects today are both absolutely stunning. Cathy x

Holley (Tondre) Barnhart said...

Card is just precious. Love thst sentiment.

Enfys said...

Love love love your balloon card Kathy x

Dawn said...

Perfect song lyrics and I love the balloon hearts. x