Wednesday, October 07, 2015

Birds of a Feather

Wednesday is my day to post on the Bubbly Funk Blog.  This is the blog for the Bubbly Funk Stencil Shop, which, if you've not already visited then you are missing a treat!

This week I've been playing with simple layering of different mediums (or should that be media?)


For the background I used Gelatos, then rubbed them together with a wet baby wipe (you can use water but the wipes were closer and I'm lazy), to mingle and dilute the colours. 

Once dry, I taped the {Birds of a Feather} stencil over the bit I liked best with some washi tape.and used a small (about 1cm) round foam "brush" to apply the black ink; because it's a such a small tool, the ink gets into all the "holes" in the stencil.
I could have left it alone at that point, but some rather lovely Glitter Paste had just arrived on my desk and I couldn't resist opening a couple of the pots to try it out.
So when everything was dry again, I taped the stencil back into position, added more tape to mask the area around each bird, then applied the deep blue glitter paste to the birds (over the black ink)
You need to clean the glitter paste off the stencil fairly quickly because as I found out it sticks fast if you don't.
Again, I left it all to dry then re-taped the stencil in place and added some silver glitter paste to parts of the cages.  I'm wondering whether gold glitter paste would have been better, but too late now!



To finish I trimmed and matted the piece, added ribbon to the bottom then indulged in another passion; making paper flowers in colours to match those of the background.
You may recall seeing a very similar card I made for a Daring Cardmakers challenge a few weeks back.  On that occasion I used different "cooler" Gelato colours: and I did stick to just using ink for the stencilling!
 


This is the stencil I used for these cards:
Birds of a Feather (Crafters Workshop)
I used the 6x6 version, but there is a 12x12 version too, which would make a wonderful canvas or home decor project
 

 
 That's it for today, I hope you'll leave a comment - and if it's not too cheeky to ask, could you pop over to the Bubbly Funk Blog and add it there too ;)  (copy and paste would be nice and quick!)

5 comments:

Holley (Tondre) Barnhart said...

Oh, I just LOVE the oranges, LOVE!! THat's one of my favorite color combos. Gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous!! Cheers, Holley

Jackie T said...

Hi your cards are stunning the mask is beautiful. Hugs Jackie

Laine said...

Beautiful creations Kathy.
xx

Andree said...

Gorgeous cards Kathy. I love how you've created the background with warm tones on your new card, it makes the stencilled images really stand out xx

Unknown said...

Both gorgeous cards Kathy, will pop over and look at the shop, hun, I do love Stencils, hugs xxx