Friday, October 16, 2015

Just a Note.....

This week's theme for The Daring Cardmakers is
 "Thank you for the Music"  
We'd love it if you'd make a card with a musical theme to share with us.  It could feature sheet music, a musical instrument, music notes, lyrics,  be based on a song or piece of music.....there's a huge range of possibilities you could incorporate on this one.

I've seen a few Grand and Baby Grand piano-shaped cards around the web lately so thought I'd have a go at making my own version.  Great for anyone who loves music and easy to make fit various occasions - I decided to give mine a Christmas theme, and a quick google image search brought up masses of pieces of sheet music that are free to use.  I chose a vintage image with traditional Christmas Carols, saved it, then resized to exactly the size I needed then printed onto some white Bazzill card.

I decided to use glossy black card for the main part of the piano - it looks realistic, but oh boy, keeping that stuff smear free is a hard job!
I drew, then handcut the shape onto the card front and used that to trace, then cut the shape in the glossy card
A piece of thinner card was embossed with an A$ embossing folder called "Seasonal Music" (Crafters Companion) and adhered to the inside back of the card, so that the upper section shows behind the piano
For the keyboard I drew the lines for the white keys, then indented over them using  my Scorpal board.  The black keys were cut from the piece left ocer after cutting the piano shape in the glossy card.  I just trimmed the corners away by hand as none of my corner rounders had the "right" sort of cut.
The poinsettia flower is created with the DieNamics  die set.  I've used some gold, glittery stamens in the centre because I think it would have lacked a bit of Seasonal Sparkle if I'd just added yellow ones.
I added a bit of a curve to the sheet music before fixing in place.  

As usual the DT have created some fantastic, inspirational cards on this theme, so please head over to see them HERE
That's all for this time, but I really need to catch up and post some other stuff to my blog - I've been a bit lax about keeping it up to date lately.

Our roof is now all finished and we should be snug this winter!  The skip has be removed, but not the scaffolding yet - so it still feels a bit like being in a cage when I look out of the windows!


Anyway. all for now, I hope you have a great weekend. Thanks for visiting


12 comments:

Linda Simpson said...

This is fabulous Kathy, I love the gorgeous design.
Hugs
Linda xxx

Angelnorth said...

Fab card, love the piano idea!

Unknown said...

Beyond Gorgeous! Truly a beautiful card for a lucky recipient! Erin xx

Jackie T said...

Wow this is amazing I love the design. I know so many people who would love a card like this. Have a great weekend. Hugs Jackie

Laine said...

This is so stunning Kathy. Love this project. A fabulous piano!
xx

Anonymous said...

Hello Kathy, What a fabulous card, Love the shape and the design. Love the music theme and the papers.

Jade xx

Andree said...

A fantastic card Kathy. I love the design, what a clever idea. The poinsettia and sheet music are wonderful xx

Brawny x said...

Wow this card is amazing x

Tracy Welham said...

Really clever card, love it! Creative Blessings, Tracy x

Unknown said...

Kathy this is one amazing card, love everything about it, hugs xxx

Dawn said...

Oooh Wow Kathy, this is amazing! I really love it!
Hugs
Dawn xx

Dawn said...

Stunning design and I love the little sheet music book. xxx