Friday, August 26, 2011

Naturally Krafty!

Oh dear - I seem to have got another dose of bad-bloggeritis! hehehe
So before I get on to this week's DCM, here's a tag I made using the August sketch on The Sketch File blog
I thought I'd make a gift tag big enough (about 8cms diameter) to keep and use as a little door or wall hanger rather than just throw away with the wrapping paper so used a thick card circle to build the layers onto.
I used:
Echo Park "Spring" papers, 
2 widths of fuchsia-pink grosgrain ribbon, 
Various Prima and wired flowers, Brads, Imaginisce i-rock gems
Craft Robo to cut the three largest circles and to cut the name,
Punch for small circles
I'm so far behind with my blogging that I still have this month's Crafty Templates projects, the box I made for Emily's gift and some cards that I've made but not blogged yet - I'll get round to it eventually though, I'm sure.- I'm afraid there won't be a photo of the Chocolate and Courgette cupcakes I made at the weekend though, because they've been eaten!
Today on the Daring Cardmakers it's "new girl" Fran's turn to set her first dare and it's a really lovely one too!
This week I'd like you to be...
Feeling Krafty
I'd like you to use 'natural' items on your projects, ie. wood, leaves, kraft card, balsa wood, cork, burlap, rope, natural twine etc. The choice is endless, you just need a bit of imagination!
There is a catch though - 
you must use 3 natural items not just a bit of kraft card!
There's a real feast for the eyes over on the DCM blog - everyone seems to have gone soft and romantic this week, maybe it's because all the frothy lace and flowers contrast so well with rather stark look of Kraft card.  Whatever the reason, the cards are just gorgeous so please go and check them out.
I resisted the urge to use a Kraft card blank as my base and went for smooth white instead
The Rundown:
My "natural" items are: Kraft card, raffia, shell button, real pressed flowers, natural twine coloured with pink ink.
I retrieved the corrugated card from some packaging to make the backing piece, damped some distressed and crumpled Kraft circles and split the layers to make the circles flower (it was tedious to do so I only made one!), used more Kraft scraps to make the coiled flowers.  
The pressed flowers came from a pack that has been in my stash for years
The ribbon embellishment is made from 2 shades of pink Seam Binding (from Creative Treasures), 
Raffia from the garden centre, pearly shell button from stash, 
Sentiment is a Cosmo Cricket sticker - I scanned the sticker so that I could make a template for the shape then cut it slightly larger using my Craft Robo
I spritzed over a lot of the card with a pinky-red Glimmer Mist - which came out a bit "spotty", but I quite liked the effect so phew..... I didn't end up throwing my arms up in total horror and panic!

Not sure what the Bank Holiday will bring - more rain by the looks of it, but there's nothing new there.  It's hard to believe that in April, May and June we'd had so little rain that the grass was completely brown.  Needless to say, it's not brown anymore hehe
Have a great weekend

8 comments:

Angelnorth said...

Looks great, love the pink as contrast to the kraft and neutral shades!

Hazel said...

You certainly were very krafty with this card, Kathy - great choice and use of all the natural items. x

purple_pea_fran said...

Gorgeous! Those flowers are fantastic and I love the hot pink against the kraft. Fran x

Kaz said...

Gorgeous Kathy, I love the effect of the mist, it's perfect with the card.
The other card is so you too!! xxx

Traceyr said...

oo Kathy never thought about using a "shell button" thanks for the tip. Your card is great and so is the wall hanger.

:)

Rika said...

Fantastic card Kathy!

Janice said...

Love your krafty flowers, great card as usual.

Sharon (glitterangel) said...

Fabulous card Kathy, and that kraft flower was worth the effort! Sx