Friday, December 03, 2010

I Love Turquoise!

Always have - and I really love turquoise when it's teamed with purple and a hint of silver.  They were the colours of my bedroom when I was about 13 - I think it was the first time I'd been allowed to choose and we even found some bedding and curtains in the same colours -I absolutely adored the finished room and as a sulky teen I spent a lot of time in there!  I'm still drawn to those colours.... I wonder if that purple Radley bag on my list will be under the tree on Christmas day.....

This week the Daring Cardmakers reach the very last birthstone of our year-long series and it couldn't really be a better stone to round it all off.  December's birthstone is the Turquoise (in case you hadn't guessed), so we're asking everyone to use the Turquoise as the inspiration  for this week's card-making.
We have a prize to give away this week too - a fabulous set of flourishes and stones is generously given by  Australian company 
Head over to the DCM blog to find out how you can win these gorgeous goodies
I did plan to make a glittering snowflake card but then I remembered that in my last box of delights from The Craftz Boutique were some lengths of tulle and one of them was turquoise, so I changed my mind and made a birthday card instead.


I used:
December sketch from The Sketch File
Rosette made from lengths of Tulle, Organza ribbon, Satin ribbon, large sparkly brad, 
dots of turquoise Ice Stickles on the tulle.
White card embossed with Cuttlebug Swiss Dots matted onto turquoise Bazzill Bling card, 
Long rectangle is Doodlebug Sugar Coated card, White lace slotted with narrow turquoise gingham ribbon. Sentiment is Robo-cut from the same Bazzill Bling using a slightly "engineered" Scriptina font
We'd love you to join in with our Turquoise challenge - it's such a fabulous colour to craft with and we're all looking forward to seeing what everyone makes this week.  You can see the cards the DT have made, and find out how to join in by visiting the DCM BLOG.
The Sketch File and Get Funky join forces!
 
Above is thee new sketch on the Sketch File, and you can also see it, and how the design team have used it for their December projects HERE.  We're thrilled to bits that this month's sketch is also being used for the Get Funky" Challenge blog, so there are even more inspiring projects to be seen for using the sketch - plus both teams have used Fabulous Funky Hand papers and other digi goodies to make all the things you can see on both blogs.


I used the "Contented Coffee" collection from Funky Hand's Colour Me Happy CD to cover the notebook and to make most of the decorative bits

 I first loosened the wires and removed the flimsy covers of the original notebook.  I cut slightly larger new covers from cereal packet chipboard.  The notebook is a "reporters" notebook so I printed 2 sheets of  the gingham design to cover them, trimming a few cms of the short side so that when the paper was folded around there was about 2cms margin all round on the reverse. 
At this point I used the original covers as a template to punch the holes at the tops of the new covers, then the book was reassembled.

All the papers are Funky Hand , even the flowers used for the focus decoration. To make the flowers strong enough to use in a 3D way I laminated a sheet of the flowery paper for extra strength then cut out some of the flower shapes and sewed buttons front and back to get the dimension then added some Stickles to the tops - when the glitter was dry I added a coat of Glossy Accents.
 Once all the decorative bits on the front were done I used another sheet of the FH paper to cover the inside of the new covers - leaving this till last means that if you've used brads or sewn things on to the covers all the messy bits will be concealed!
Summary of Materials:
All papers from Colour Me Happy (Funky Hand), Cereal packet chipboard, Buttons, Gingham ribbon, Pom-pom trim, Laminator and laminator pockets, Titl is Robo cut, Stickles (Fruit Punch), lots of extra ribbon knotted through the wires to finish
Please do join in and leave your links on both the Sketch File and Get Funky! this month.  If you used even ONE Funky Hand product and leave a comment over there you'll be in with a chance of winning a prize.  Even if you don't have any FH stuff yet you can still enter as there's a freebie download available on the downloads section of the shop site.
I've somehow managed to get way behind in adding stuff to the blog so I'll try to catch up over the next few days - I'll also try to catch up with my blog-hopping which has rather gone to pot this week!
Anyway, thank you for visiting my blog, I hope you'll leave a comment before you head off again :-)

15 comments:

Angelnorth said...

Love your ribbon rosette and of course the turquoise colour scheme (my birthstone, how could I not love it?!). Your notebook looks lovely too, great to see the sketch two different ways!

Annie said...

I'm a turquiose lover too and really love the card you've made :-)
A x

Hazel said...

Love turquoise - and such a gorgeous card to show it off perfectly x

Karen said...

WOW! Purple & turquoise sounds fabulous! It was the early 70's when I could choose my room & brown flowery was all the rage...sounds dire now though haha

Loving your makes sweetie XXX

Lythan said...

The turquise and white card is so stylish Kathy and I love the notebook too. trouble is that makes me feel like eating chocolate!

ModernaDesignsArt said...

I love turquoise and I love your work. I'm glad I found your blog :-)
Dorly Weitzen, Isreal

Anonymous said...

love turquoise too and this card is a stunner, that ribbon rosette is super.

Janice said...

Lovely cards Kathy. My teen bedroom featured turquoise, purple and pink swirly psychedelic wallpaper. I loved it too!

Lovely cards and a great sketch.

maddy hill said...

gorgeous makes Kathy , love turqoise too love the bloom !
love
maddy xx

maddy hill said...

forgot to say the bobble trim looks fab !
love
maddy

Anice said...

Fab work on all your creations as usual Kathy. You are a very talented crafter and I know I'm very lucky to work with you on the Funky Hand DT.
Love your teenage bedroom colour choices..mine were ignored because I was a very miserable Goth type and just wanted black!!
Anice xx

Traceyr said...

Love that turquoise birthday card and that lace really looks lovely on the front.

Your note book is gorgeous too.

:)

Jules said...

Hi Kathy

Amazing creations.

Loved your teenage bedroom story!!

Great turquoise card. Love the flower and colours very much and you know I think your Funky creations is brill.

Hope you have had a good weekend.

Love Jules xx

Lynne in NI said...

ohhhh, what a pretty card! Lovin your gorgeous rosette!
(Thanks for reminding me to add the link to my challenge entry)

Unknown said...

gorgeous cards, love the box - and a great challenge for the Funky Hand DT - thanks for the sketch - something that I need to follow more of. I'm taking inspiration from your sketch blog which I'll like back to if and when I use one - which will be loads seeing as ive only just started on my Christmas cards.

When I visit your blog, I realise that i don't blog hop enough - and should come here more often - I need to make more effort!!!

hugs

Paula x x x