Sunday, August 02, 2020

Shaking It Up

Hello
I'm a bit late with this week's Daring Cardmakers card because I didn't get round to making a scheduled post to load while I was otherwise engaged.  Not that that is anything new, oh to be organised enough for that kind of thing!
We celebrated our Wedding Anniversary this week and booked ourselves an entry slot to go and have a picnic in the grounds of Anglesey Abbey, not far from Cambridge.  Our first proper outing since OH's birthday back in February!  
 The house sits in large grounds, so we knew we'd be able to find somewhere sufficiently distanced from others for our picnic, and as it happened we even managed to bag a shady place with a lovely view of the house. 
I have to say it felt a little strange to be out and about among other people and after just a few hours I felt weary and ready to be back in our own home.  I guess its more to do with being on edge, and more aware when walking around the site of the people nearby and whether they are taking care to keep away from you as much as anything.  
I wouldn't feel comfortable going to a pub or restaurant yet but taking a picnic to eat in the grounds of a stately home is a step forward, especially when everything there seems well organised and mindful of visitor safety the staff are.  However, you have no idea how the General Public will behave, have you? Let's face it, we've all seen the photos and videos over the last few months.....

So anyway,
on to this week's Daring Cardmakers challenge.  Rizwana says:

 Shake It 
"Create any type of project using
a shaker element.It can be card,
gift box, tag or even a book"

I've made a few of this type of card over the years, but I don't get on well with them! But a challenge is a challenge, and you can't just opt out because you find them difficult, can you/  Well, you can, but you shouldn't hahaha
I decided that the easiest way to go would be to bravely make a Christmas Card - in July.  Those of you who know me will know that's a challenge in itself!
Infp
Shaker element;
constructed from a square of card, inked with a few shades of blue. Little house and church also die cut then tiny pieces of, black, gold and yellow paper added to the reverse to create a lit window effect. These were glued to the bottom of the blue square and a die cut white tree and curved ground piece added. I then used a little glitter glue to add stars and a twinkle of snow to the picture.
For the box I glued several die cut square frames together then adhered them to the picture section. When the glitter glue was dry I put loose tiny stars and snowflake die cuts in silver and white, plus a few silver and white beads into the box.
For the top window section of the shaker box I cut another square frame, this time with a slightly larger border area and used DS tape to fix a square of acetate to it.  More DS tape was added all around the edge of the acetate layer, then I adhered it to the box, sealing in all the little bits so that they would now be able to move around inside.
I glued the shaker box onto the card, added a die cut tree and landscape piece and more snowflakes, glitter glue, a die cut sentiment from silver and some red gems to decorate the trees

That's all for today, I don't think making shakers will ever be my favourite thing, but its good to have a go every now and then - maybe one day I'll actually feel happy with the results!
Thank you so much for visiting, I hope you'll leave a comment, I'm so grateful and happy when someone leaves a message!

Happy Crafting, and please Stay Safe

5 comments:

Jackie T said...

Hi Kathy your Christmas card is gorgeous. Everyone loves a shaker card. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your anniversary. It is nice to be somewhere different. Have a good week. Take care. Hugs Jackie

KarinsArtScrap said...

this is a gorgeous card Kathy
Gr Karin

Angelnorth said...

Lovely scene - my mind always goes to snow for shaker cards too!

Shabneez said...

Stunning creation Kathy - glad you had a lovely Anniversary! Shabneez x

jenny Ginger Ninja Crafts said...

Gorgeous shaker, even if it's not your preferred style, it turned out really well! Sounds like a lovely way to celebrate your anniversary, it does feel strange to be out and about with other people, we haven't ventured into any cafes or bars yet although my hubby was just suggesting trying a dinner out next weekend, we shall see! xx