Friday, January 30, 2015

In Safe Keeping

Our lovely Zuzana is in the Daring Cardmakers' dare-setter's chair this week and she's chosen a challenge called
In Safe Keeping
 - I dare you to create cards with pockets and/or envelopes on.

Well as soon as I saw this one I knew what I wanted to do - it's ages since I made a "pocket card" and they are quite nice to make so a good chance to remind myself how to make them!
Now, usually I make these to fit a DL envelope, so they are a tall, skinny shape, with a long insert in the pocket, I thought I'd experiment with a different size and shape this time and came up with this
The thing I don't like about pocket cards is that, as the pocket is the actual card and it doesn't open in the usual way it doesn't stand up on it's own and you have to prop it up against a wall or something if you want to display it.  I find this annoying, so I always incorporate some sort of stand "mechanism to the back of the pocket to get over that. 

I think the regular 350gsm card I use is too thick for something which has a minimum of three layers (more here the tabs for forming and sealing the pocket edges are), especially if I then cover it with paper, so I use something more like a 180g for these.
In this case I had a moment of enlightenment - they don't happen very often so you've got to grab them when they do, haven't you?  Well, this one was to cut out the "cover pocket with paper" step and instead use some Funky Hand designs which I could print direct onto some white Bazzill card, then create the basic pocket from the ready-decorated card.  I do love the effect you get by printing FH onto textured Bazzill - it really adds so much to the designs, and this paper set "Fading Beauty" has several  textured-look designs which worked really well on a card with "actual" texture
 Materials and Tools
All papers  Fading Beauty download from Funky Hand, printed onto both sides of 
Classic texture Bazzill white card
Various pearls and gems
Seam binding used for the multi layered bow 
EK Success border punch
Large flower created using SU Blossom punch
Flower centre is the stamen from a DieNamics flower die
Swirls behind the flower are "Curly Swirlies"die  by Taylored Expressons
Hand cut tiny coiled roses
Leaves behind the roses are cut from one of the"Sprigs" Die D-Lites by Spellbinders

Here's a quick peek at more of this paper set just to add some temptation - great value at £2.99
Fading Beauty download from Funky Hand,



As you can see, the insert isn't exactly finished - I've not decided what sentiment to put on it yet so will add that onto a doily-type die cut later- though, wouldn't this sort of card make a lovely note card, with all the space to write in?
I really should make more of these cards, I enjoyed making this one!

Please pop over to the Daring Caardmakers Blog to see all the pockets and envelopes the team have incorporated into their cards this time

That's all for this time, Thanks for visiting

3 comments:

Angelnorth said...

Looks lovely Kathy, the designs do work well on the Bazzill card and of course that flower is very "you"!

Lythan said...

that is the joy of digital papers. You have done such a fabulous job with this card - it is so inventive :)

Zuzana Obert said...

So soft, vintage and elegant! Love the layout of this card. Stunning effect! Hugs Xx