Friday, August 08, 2014

Beautiful Beach Huts

It's my turn to set the challenge over on the Daring Cardmakers this week


".... as we're still enjoying a long, hot Summer (I hope you are too - though maybe if you're in the Southern Hemisphere you're already dreaming of Summer), I thought I'd be a bit self-indulgent and ask to see cards featuring one of my absolute favourite "beachy" things:Beautiful Beach Huts
I love to see these cute and colourful little "houses" - there are loads of them all around the coast here in the UK and I know they are to be found all over the world.

I hope you'll join in and make lots of lovely Beach Hut cards for me to swoon over this week"

My favourite beach huts are along the wide prom in Southwold, Suffolk- I spotted one of these for sale a few weeks ago priced at an unbelievable  £100,000.  I did suggest it would make a wonderful anniversary present for me, but I guess I wasn't really surprised when I didn't get it.  hey ho.  hehehe

I've made a couple of cards this week, the first was made using tightly rolled strips of paper, it's a bit of a faff, but I love the result you get from this technique
I inked the background using "dry" DI pads and tool - as you can see, there was still plenty of ink on the pads and as both had been used with a several colours, I got a nice variegated effect.  I added a few random streaks of Ice Stickles (crystal) and left it to dry while I made the beach hut

Papers for the Beach Hut are from various MME 6x6 pads - I think mostly from the "Find Your Wings" range.   I cut strips then rolled the paper first using a bamboo (no, not "mambo" you naughty spellchecker) skewer, this makes it easier to roll again making the tubes a bit tighter. I added glue to the edges then rolled the tube between my hands to help it to stick. 

It's a bit of a gooey, messy way to make a house, but sort of fun too!
The Life Belt was cut on the Silhouette Cameo - mainly because I didn't have exactly the size punches or dies for the circles - typical!
Ball is 2 punched circles amalgamated to make the pattern.
Seagulls are hand cut and dabbed with ink
Flagpoles are handcut, Red flag is a piece of ribbon
Sentiment is pc generated then handcut to shape



My second card is a shaped card.  The fold is on the left diagonal section of the roof.  I just made a simple template from a spare piece of card to check that I'd got it right, then drew around it on some folded card before cutting it out,
 I used more MME papers - I think these are from the "Miss Caroline"  pad - but  I now wish I'd kept to a more simple palette of 2 colours rather than use patterned papers


I folded strips of paper and overlapped them to make the house. The idea was that it would look like weatherboarding,but it doesn't really show up so that may have been a waste of time.  You can't win 'em all.
I used punches for the heart and the square window in the door but the rest was just hand cut. It's supposed to look rustic, don't you know!

Maybe I'll have another go at this one - you can't have too many beach huts after all!
The Daring Cardmakers team have really come up trumps this week with some fantastic beach huts so I hope you've been to have a look!

Thanks for popping in, please leave me a message - if only to tell me where your favourite beach huts are!



5 comments:

Dawn said...

I love them, the rolled paper is such a great idea. Your cards have made me wish that this horrible rain would go away and bring back more sun!!

Angelnorth said...

Both super-cute Kathy! I have ask though, is "mambo skewer" an autocorrect thing or do you have a secret tool I've never heard of?!

Kathy said...

Nice pick up Joanne - yes, the demon spellchecker strikes again hehehe

will go and put it right.....

Traceyr said...

Beach huts are so happy aren't they?

Love the seagulls on the rolled paper hut too.

:)

Anonymous said...

Fabulous cards Kathy x