Friday, August 29, 2014

Clean and Simple?

It may not be obvious, but the CAS style is something I like and try to emulate.  My main problem is that even cards that look fairly clean and simple rarely are.  I think one of the difficulties I have is not with white space, but with white space that is "flat"  - which is why I'll usually end up using an embossing folder to hide that expanse of flatness.
So for Sharon's Daring Cardmakers 
 "Clean and Simple" 
challenge this week, I banned myself from reaching for the embossing folders and made this card.
It was cutting the rectangular frame for the sentiment that was my downfall.  Maybe this really would have been ultra simple to make if all those teeny circles of peach card hadn't dropped from the die on to some white card and caught my eye....."oh, they look pretty all scattered like that, don't they...., I wonder?  No! that's madness, I won't do it"
Materials and Tools
top fold 16cm square card blank, trimmed down at the side to make a fat rectangle
2 shades of peach card, 2 shades and tyes of fibres for bow and strands
Memory Box Butterfly cut in each colour
Crafters Companion "Grace" rectangle frame*
PC generated sentiment

* the die cut frame was deeper than I wanted to use, so I cut across from side to side, then overlapped one of the patterns to make it narrower.  The bow and the butterfly disguise the overlaps

The whole rectangular section is raised on a piece of chipboard

I did finish the card leaving the plain white, smooth background - honestly, I did. 
But it was too hard to resist a bit of extra embellishing so I used a border punch to punch a few tiny dots from each of the peach shades.  I glued them on using a pointy scrap of card as a "sticker-on-er-er" as other tools were too big for the job

You can see how the rest of the team fared with our "pared down" challenge this week by clicking HERE to visit the blog

Thanks for visiting


3 comments:

Hazel said...

Beautiful CAS card, Kathy x

Dawn said...

I love the little circles reminds me of confetti and the butterfly is gorgeous.

Kaz said...

This is beautiful Kathy, you were very brave with those dots, but they make the card xxx