Tuesday, July 02, 2013

Getting In a Swirl

Today sees July's new LO published on The Sketch File Blog.
We have some lovely ideas for making great use of the sketch over on the blog and more to come each week. 

Recently I've taken to printing my Funky Hand papers onto white Bazzill - I absolutely love the marriage of the gorgeous designs on the textured card.   Obviously printing on stuff like that is a little more expensive than just printing on regular card or paper - but I think it's worth it.  A couple of other good things are that it makes me plan more what I'm going to make, then print on both sides even of quite small pieces of the card (with a cunning bit of cropping and resizing)  and finally it makes me think more about really getting the best out of that print run and using as much of the printed card as I can manage.
For instance, this card is made using scraps and off-cuts left over from the other things I made with the Summer Wedding collection

I've shrunken the July sketch - it didn't start out that way, it was going to fill the whole card when I started out, but things never seem to turn out as originally planned haha


 Materials and Tools
Cream smooth 14x14cm card blank, left edge trimmed off
All papers: Summer Wedding download collection from Funky Hand, rinted on to...
White Bazzill
Peachy pink organza ribbon, Pale pink pearls
Sketch; July In a Swirl LO from The Sketch File
Dies: MFT Oval Doily, 
Memory Box Fabulous Phlox, Elegant Swirl 9some pieces trimmed off)
EK Success Border Punch
Circle Punch to shape the spotty paper strip
http://kathyswafflesketchfile.blogspot.com/

There's something particularly satisfying about making something from scraps - or maybe it's just me that loves turning a little pile of paper and card, with the largest being no more than 12x7 cms, into something pretty and useable.
The problem is, there are still scraps left - albeit much smaller scraps....how low can you go I wonder?
Well, my parcel from Charmed Cards and Craft arrived while I was in the middle of writing this, and like a good girl I put it on the chair and didn't open it until this post was finished.  It's now screaming "Open Me" though, so I'll sign off and do as I'm told.


8 comments:

Linda Simpson said...

Gorgeous card and love how you have shrunk the sketch and used scraps.

Hugs
Linda xxx

Kath said...

That is so pretty, Kathy. I love it.

Angelnorth said...

Really pretty Kathy and the white space looks fantastic!

Traceyr said...

Super way to use scraps Kathy and what lovely papers they are too.

Hope that parcel has been ripped open now. :)

Unknown said...

Wow Kathy! This is absolutely gorgeous. I really love the texture the Bazzil gives the FH papers.

Anonymous said...

Wow this is stunning, absolutely gorgeous. Love the sketch and such pretty colors xx

Wendy said...

Such a stunning and elegant card! Love the colours. xxx

Hazel said...

Pretty and elegant x