Friday, June 15, 2018

Sea Dome

Hello - Happy Friday!

The good news is that its very sunny here this morning, the not-so-good-news is that the pollen count remains very high which makes things a bit uncomfortable.  Good for the sales of Kleenex Balsam tissues though, I guess....

It's Daring Cardmakers Day today and I couldn't resist making another card using the same Grand Dome dies I used for my Spellblogger project earlier in the week.  Joanne's challenge was just perfect for an under the sea sort of card!
It's Joanne here with this week's challenge and I'd like to see you using 
ABW - Anything But White! 
Using white as a card base is a really easy habit to slip into so I'd like to see what else you can come up with. It could be a chalkboard technique on black cardstock, metallic or opaque embossing powder on a coloured base, coloured pencils on kraft or something like the Joseph's Coat technique.

What will you decide on to make your base other than white? Here's what the team came up with:
   

 Info
First I used the large die as a template and scissor-cut the 6 white card pieces I needed for the dome. These were inked on both sides with various Distress and Distress Oxide Inks.  
The bits of white card left over were inked in the other colours I wanted to use
Once completely dry I die cut the pieces for the Dome, and put it together only using the tabs on one side to allow me to add all the other die cuts to the various layers - it would be very tricky to do this if the 'box' was completely formed.
 
I found that twiggy branches and other tree dies are great for making coral and seaweed - especially those in the Four Seasons Trees collection - don't you just love it when you see other ways to use your dies!
Some of the sea creatures were simply glued in place on the various layers of the dome. others were suspended on silver thread.  
When I was happy that the various layers of the dome had enough bits and bobs added to them, I slotted in the tabs on the other side and glued the tab that closes it all.
 
 I won't deny this was was fiddly, but it was fun too. The next picture shows how it just folds flat to fit in a regular sort of envelope - isn't that just soooo clever!

Here are the dies I used for this card, all from Spellbinders

Shapeabilities Etched Dies

Shapeabilities Die D-Lites Etched Dies    

That's it for this time, I hope you'll click on the link to see a wonderful array of cards from The Daring Cardmakers DT this week - and I hope you'll be inspired to join in with us.

12 comments:

Jackie T said...

Wow Kathy this is a stunning card I love it. Those dies are just amazing. There is not a trace of white. Enjoy the rest of the day. Hugs Jackie

Kate M said...

This die is just so clever, and you have made another fabulous card using it, great scene you have created, fantastic project!! xx

Holley (Tondre) Barnhart said...

Oh wow, now that is an amazing amount of cutting as assemblage

KarinsArtScrap said...

it's gorgeous Kathy
Gr Karin

Lorre-Anne Archibald said...

Wow!!! Amazing card Kathy x

Katie said...

This is amazing and so much detail

Janet Packer said...

Fabulous! Love the card and the challenge idea.

Angelnorth said...

This is great fun Kathy, I’m sure the recipient will spend ages looking at all the different layers from different angles! Branches etc often do make great coral and seaweed (I’ve found the same with stamps too) - yours look fab here!

Unknown said...

This is stunning Kathy. In fact I love it so much I had to start commenting on blogs again so I could let you know. Well worth the time it must have taken. Cathy x

Laine said...

What a fabulous, fun and detailed card Kathy. So much work!
Laine
x

Sylvia said...

Love the beautiful underwater scene created, another fabulous grand dome card.

Sylv xx

Shabneez said...

Just stunning Kathy! Shabneez x