Friday, October 20, 2017

City, or Country at heart? Or maybe neither......

Hello 
I'm back home after a long weekend up north with my family on the Northumberland coast,  The weather wasn't great, actually it was plain weird some of the time, but it just felt good to be back by the sea - which meant that when I came home and sat down on Thursday to make my card for the Daring Cardmakers I knew that neither of Miri's "Are you a city girl? Or a country girl?" options was right for me! I don't mind the odd foray away for a City Break, and the Country is ok to look at and admire the view, but when it comes down to it it's got to be the seaside for me! 
 Are you a city girl? Or a country girl?

What do you like about (living in) the city or the country?
Neon lights, public transport, lots of people, high buildings and a diverse night-life make you happy?
Or do you need nature, calm, being outside and maybe having your own piece of ....green?
You can see where the 'spiritual homes of the
 DT are HERE
 So maybe I've cheated a bit with my card this week, but Miri doesn't mind so that's ok, isn't it?  😉

Info:
I decided to try for more of an 'echo' of the seaside than go for images and die-cuts, so I made a panel using lots of different kinds of fibres.
I covered the strip of card with aqua coloured paper to start with, then wound it with various fibres - I was trying to evoke the movement of the waves and how the light changes the colours.
There are lots of different kinds of fibres in here - I have a big box full of them, so it was good to actually use some!

The fibre panel was glued to the DL card blank, then pieces of 3D sticky tape adhered around the edge of the card.
For the frame I just cut the right size aperture from another piece of card and fitted it over the 3D tape
The sentiment was pc generated and adhered with another piece of 3D tape

I was born in a seaside village and this is a photo of my 'home' beach.  When I was a Primary School teacher in Hertfordshire, about as far from the sea as you can get I'd often tell the children how my mum would meet me from school and we'd go down to the beach - the children would be wide-eyed and open-mouthed at the very thought of being able to do that!  My playground was the sand, and the rock pools and I loved it.  I love the sea when it's calm and sunny and beautiful, and I love it when its moody and dark, wild and angry too.

 And that is quite enough waffle for one day!  I really hope you'll join in and show us the environment you feel at your best in, we'd love to see how it can inspire a card!
Anyway, thank you for visiting, please leave a message 😉

12 comments:

Holley (Tondre) Barnhart said...

what a great idea for a card! I am a city girl!

Laine said...

Stunning and so very arty Kathy. Love it!
Laine
x

KarinsArtScrap said...

fab and great card Kathy
Gr Karin

Jackie T said...

Hi Kathy this is stunning I love the colours you have used. I am a city girl at heart. Take care. Hugs Jackie

Paper and Stuff said...

I'm loving the texture and modern feel to your card! Gorgeous, Kathy! X

Unknown said...

Ooh love this Kathy. Stunning card, love the textures. Cathy x

Karen said...

I love your take on the prompt Kathy!!!!! I miss living by the sea too x

Dawn said...

A beautiful picture of home and I love the idea for your card. Very creative.

Angelnorth said...

My aunt used to make fibre art hangings - this is a nice reminder of those! Very effective card Kathy, love it!

Sylvia said...

A beautiful piece of art and a fabulous card.

Sylv xx

Kate M said...

Love your card Kathy - love your interpretation of the theme, super design.
xx

Miri said...

I love your great creative card ... and the fact that you consider yourself a seaside girl.
(we don't really have this option around here - except a few kilometres along the far North)
The fibres look amazing! I would love to touch your card ;-)